Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM

Lakes around Greer

Am trying to transition from streams to lakes, and plan to spend most of next summer around the Alpine/Greer area. Sounds like the Greer lakes would be fun, but aren't they private? Or not all of them? How about the Little
Colorado, if I just can't bear to stay away from the streams? Is is private? Is my plan to concentrate on Big, Reservation, and the Greer lakes a good way to learn to fish lakes? I don't care so much about big fish anymore, just a tug. PM me if you don't want to reply publicly, please.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Greer Lakes are not private. They hold browns and stocked bows. Fish early or late, day and seasonally in my experience. Some quality fish are found too.

Some ponds in Greer are certainly private.

LC has stretches that are private, yes. Mostly public water though.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:02 PM

Big Lake is not far away..still holds a lot of quality fish
Old 07-29-2017, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the replies, will start hunting. How do I start lake fishing - is it better to try a bubble and fly with a spinning rod instead of a fly rod? Should I get a guide?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:12 AM

What do you have against streams dude? jk... well sorta
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM

My first question would be; how are you planning to fish the lakes? From shore or out of a float tube or pontoon boat? Float tubes or pontoon are your best bet.
Go with a fly rod. A 9ft 5 or 6 weight will do just fine. Depending on the time of year, I carry a weight forward floating line and two spare spools, one with a sink tip (15 foot sink tip) and the other with a full sinking line (Rio Mainstream 3 -4 inches per second sink rate) That covers a variety of fishing and flies I will try.
Flies to use? That is a never ending discussion among still water fisherman and fisherwomen. I don't leave home without Parachute Adams, Scuds, Leech patterns, streamers like Slumpbusters, Damsel and Dragon flies, Gold Ribbed hares ears, Copper Johns and Pheasant tails.
Books and other information Buy a copy of John Rohmer's book on fishing Arizona, it cover lakes and streams. If you can find a little known book "Arizona Trout A Fly Fishing Guide" by Rex Johnson Jr, he also covers lakes. I don't know if copies of Bob Hirsch's map of the White Mountain lakes is still available. Bob passed away about 10 years ago so I do not know if the family is continuing the tradition. A DeLorme guide for Arizona is very useful. There are dozens of websites about fly fishing Arizona.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Float tube
9' 5 wt rod
sinking line
Simi seal leach with Peacock Lady trailer
Fish On!

I also carry a 3 or 4 wt rigged with a floating line and a good supply of dries whee the action turns to the surface
Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Don't hate streams, just getting too old. Will look for a pontoon boat. Is it easier to row than kick?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Yes, much easier, and you sit higher so casting is easier too.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:03 PM

A bit of advise on a pontoon boat, buy one with a padded seat. After being on a lake for a couple of hours a hard plastic seat gets a bit painful. Also think about a kayak, there are some really cool models that are outfitted strictly for fishing.
Good call ribnaz, I forgot about the Peacock Lady and the AZ Peacock Lady. And how could I neglect a Simi Seal Leech, sorry John.