Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Had a casting lesson this morning and took the 2wt with me so the instructor could tell me what I was doing wrong. She was able to do more with it than I am but also had a very hard time making tight loops and getting any real distance on it. She is going to bring 3wt line next time to see if over lining it will help.

Made me feel a little better on my inability to cast with it, but has me concerned about the rod.

It's really odd, the rod is a Redington CT (medium action) but I can't feel the line on it at all... I can feel more on my fast action 5wt....
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers View Post
Had a casting lesson this morning and took the 2wt with me so the instructor could tell me what I was doing wrong. She was able to do more with it than I am but also had a very hard time making tight loops and getting any real distance on it. She is going to bring 3wt line next time to see if over lining it will help.

Made me feel a little better on my inability to cast with it, but has me concerned about the rod.

It's really odd, the rod is a Redington CT (medium action) but I can't feel the line on it at all... I can feel more on my fast action 5wt....
Oh yeah, ah, you need to drop that rod right away and run from it before it ruins you casting ability forever

Send it to me and I'll make sure it's disposed-of properly and never comes back to haunt you, cuz I'm nice like that...

My address is...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Whats your 5wt? That may have something to do with it.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollininZona View Post
Oh yeah, ah, you need to drop that rod right away and run from it before it ruins you casting ability forever

Send it to me and I'll make sure it's disposed-of properly and never comes back to haunt you, cuz I'm nice like that...

My address is...
It's in the mail....
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty View Post
Whats your 5wt? That may have something to do with it.
TFO BVK. Curious what that may have to do with it? Looking for help! Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
TFO BVK. Curious what that may have to do with it? Looking for help! Thanks.
If you are used to casting a fast rod then you might be having trouble moving to a slower rod.

The BVK is fast, but not super fast and my 4 wt CT is definitely a medium action rod but you make it sound like the 2wt version isn't.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
If you are used to casting a fast rod then you might be having trouble moving to a slower rod.

The BVK is fast, but not super fast and my 4 wt CT is definitely a medium action rod but you make it sound like the 2wt version isn't.
It's medium action for sure. I can get it to flex but I just can't seem to get it to properly load. The loops are not tight and no matter how slow or fast I go I can't seem to get tight loops.

Again, my experience is very limited and it could just be that I am not ready for such light weight line (maybe it takes more fineness than I currently have)? Not sure overlining it is going to help anything, just taking some suggestions from somebody far more experienced than myself... cause I am lost....
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM

where do you live?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
where do you live?
East Phoenix
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Founding Member.

I would try slowing way down. Watch the line through the entire cast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk