Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 PM

What are the general causes of...

the leader just collapsing in a pile instead of rolling out nice.

I get it right about 40% of the time now, but I still have trouble with it just piling up the rest of the time. I would like to know why I might be doing wrong so I can look for it.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Try raising your trajectory. Shoot higher, essentially. Also, more line speed. That always helps me.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM

Speed of your forward stroke. Either way too slow or way too fast. Too slow and it won't roll out, too fast and it will bungee back a bit after hitting the end. Also you may be dropping the rod too low too soon. You want to lay it out rather than slap it down.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 AM

#1 probable cause: not stopping the rod sufficiently on the forward stroke. The rod needs to come to as complete a stop as possible to form a loop and get the leader to "turn over." Accelerate to the stop, as smoothly as possible.

#2 probable cause: rod tip is "sweeping" - not traveling the path of a straight line, creating a doming loop, which does not turn over well. The flyline follows the path of the rod tip every time, so concentrate on keeping the tip in a straight path.

There are folks on this board who can help you, an hour or of casting on the grass should move your numbers up from 40% - that is a good sign, you must be doing most of it right.

pm me if you get down around Tucson we can meet at a park and improve your casting.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Are you using a tapered leader? Try using a 2X 9' tapered leader (the stiffer butt will help with turning over the fly) with about 18" of 3X tippet. Watch your back cast and be sure it's straightening out before begining your forward cast. If you begin the forward cast too soon, it will eliminate power and cause piling on the forward cast.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Founding Member.

Aim higher. Instead of aiming directly at your target aim about 2' above it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM

You might try a furled leader. Eons ago they were created to get the leader and tippet to roll out the dry fly good and delicately. The furled leader is now coming back into popularity. A couple of years ago no one was selling them. Now several vendors sell them. I once saw one for $18 at Umpqua. Feathercraft charges $12.95 apiece not counting shipping and handling. You can get them from Kathy Scott 3 for $20. I make my own and can teach you if you are interested. They are very easy to do. I think I figured one time I could make 10 furled leaders out of ONE spool of fly tying thread. Oh, btw I like them so much it is all I use. NO more fussing withi tapered mono leaders for me. They do roll out good. There are differences of opinion though. Those who are quite satisfied with their knotted leaders will not switch. Most newer people that are very open minded about things tend to try them and like them. Of course to each his own. Some have tried them and do not like them.

I am coming to Scottsdale on the 20th but don't have a lot of time to kill. Have a doc appointment, then meet someone to pick up something, then to my daughters for dinner then back to Show Low. Don't know how close you are to Shea. My doc and person I am picking up the fly tying station from are on Shea. I go past 101 to my doc's office.

'twas thinking of making you a couple and dropping them off. However probably be better if I just mail some to you. Drop me a line at gemrod_whitewolf@yahoo.com. Via public email we can swap mailing address's and pictures. Believe me they are so easy to make. It does not take a rocket scientist to make all kinds.

Good Luck

Jim
Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Founding Member.

furled leaders ROCK!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM
tramp ala trout

i find also many people use the wrong leader for the type of fly they are throwing for instance if i am fishing a big cone head on a 9ft 5x leader i will experience "collapse" of the leader and the following pile. If i am fishing small dries a 9ft 5x leader is sufficient maybe even 6x, but for bigger heavier flies I recomend a shorter thicker leader this allows the energy traveling through the leader to turn the leader over. you may not even have an issue with your cast and still experience this problem.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Until today, I had never seen a furled leader, but went to the ol' trusty youtube and found a good video that explains them well for a noob. I'm very interested in making some of these.

Gemrod, thanks for your input on MB's thread. Quick question for you on the on the line - what kind of line and brand of spool do you use her in AZ?