Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
all about the Truchas

Jackson Hole Fishing

So I have decided to take a summer job at Flagg Ranch Lodge near Jackson Hole Wyoming. For May 20 to August I will be living and working in the foothills of the Tetons, just north of Jackson lake on the head waters of the Snake River.
Here is a map of its location

I will have two consecutive days off a week and I'm really looking forward to Fly fishing and exploring the rivers in that area. I plan on doing alot of hiking and small stream fishing. I have only fished AZ streams and I don't know much about fishing rivers in that area. I know that Drift Boats and cutthroat fishing are big there, But that’s all I know about the place. What techniques of fishing would I use there that I might not use in AZ? I am trying to learn as much as I can about fishing in the Jackson Hole area before I get there. Anyone who has fished that area before, Feel free to drop some knowledge on me
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Your going to have the time of your life, buy a good camera and enjoy what GOD has to offer. Be safe and catch many fish. It's good that this open up for you being young and adventurous.

Take care,

Emerson
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Dude. Just...dude...

One of the most amazing places, ever...
Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Awesome. I'm so jealous. In short order you will find many great places to fish right around Jackson Hole so no reason to point those out. Let me recommend a few options within reasonable road trip distance;

1. Salt River: No, not our Salt, but the Wyoming version! Easy drive south about 90 minutes in beautiful Star Valley (where my clan resides). Classic Rocky Mtn fly water with very little fishing pressure and not as many tourists as Jackson Hole. Lots of ranches and private property which makes access a bit tricky, but there are public stretches. Lots of mosquitos and wading through muck as the rivers snakes, branches, reconnects over and over again.

2. Clark's Fork: A bit longer drive, but worth spending a few days in Cody if you have time. Again, not as much fishing pressure and tourists. You have to hike in which thins out the herd quite a bit. Beautiful canyon hike, and great water. Bears and rattlesnakes galore - be careful!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM

One of my favorite places on the planet. Your going to have a blast. Be sure to post some pictures for us desert dwellers from time to time.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM

We've "Camped" at Flagg ranch. It great up there and the Snake runs right behind the campgrounds, fishing is great behind the RV campgrounds, about 1/2 mile away!
Water is skinny with a killer evening bite. If you can get up to West yellowstone the water is endless - Most fish are wild and spunky in/around the park.
Just about any type of fishing is available for trout (cutts, rainbow, Brown) with water ranging from Big rivers that would call for a drift boat or some type of river water craft, to streams (more like AZ rivers) to lakes that are crystal clear. Watch out for the wildlife - so far in three trips up there I have had two moose encounters.

I'm sure there's a few fly shops in Jackson that can help with the rest.
Blue ribbon flies in West yellowstone can tune you in to much of whats happening and they do have some odd regulations on specific waters for season openings and closures.

Havent fished much in the Tetons but there's an abundance of Water everyplace in that area. All types of water - big river, stream, lake etc.

We'll be in West Yellowstone during the summer for a couple weeks and might also be staying At Flagg ranch for a few days as well.

If I could live anywhere in hte world it would be around Yellowstone/Teton NP. The biggest problem you'll have is wanting to fish anywhere else once you get use to that area.

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Founding Member

Jackson

Superfly.....congratulations, you are getting the chance to enter the flyfishing industry, a very cool place. Take advantage of the knowledge available and learn. That's your number one goal first year. Check with Green Weenie. He used to run the Orvis store in Jackson and I'm sure can steer you towards some of the out of the way spots that the normal tourist doesn't get to see.

Good luck......enjoy

dub
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM

great place i drove through there last week. hope you know spanish.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Send a message via AIM to Charlie
Thats Great Travis... Please keep us posted on your adventures... Let me know how the Cortland ProCast treats you up there

Trout Unlimited Endorsed Guide
AZ Licensed Fishing Guide
http://www.azfishguide.com/wordpress/
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
all about the Truchas

Thanks everyone. I know its kind of a Mecca for fly fishing, thats why I applied there. I am really excited to be able to do this. I'm hoping to get in good with some of the guides that work out of Flagg Ranch. and I will definatley blow up the out of state report section. If anyone feels compelled to travel up there this summer and fish, I'll be there at Flagg Ranch.

Last edited by super fly fisherman; 05-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.