Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Juanuary 2016 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 10-18-2015, 07:27 AM

Juanuary 2016 - Jan. 15-18, 2016

It is hard to believe it has been a decade since we first went to the San Juan together.

10 years ago most of us fly fishers here in AZ who hung out online were doing so over at the old AZOD board. It was a cool little community for us, but it was mainly a hunting forum as a face for the magazine with the same name. There were fly fishers on staff (Terry and Chip), but they had no authority over the forum. This limitation made organizing anything somewhat problematic as revealed when we planned the first "Juanuary" trip in 2006.

What a time that was!

Around the campfire and over drinks on that trip we talked about how nice to have a place of our own to hang out in cyberspace. When we returned home, I got a domain, installed some software (thanks delw), and AZFAT was up and running.

It took off beyond wildest expectations and for several years we returned to the San Juan every January. However, like life in general, things fell by the wayside as we drifted off in the currents of life. Juanuary met the same fate.

At this point, I would have to say the thing I miss most about those trips was not the actual trips themselves (and they were great), but the camaraderie they built which helped get us through the year.

Now here a decade later, I am inviting you all to return with me.

edit - booked at http://enchantedhideawaylodge.com/

Battle weather and fish all day, swap stories at night.

Who is in?

Last edited by Seldomseen; 12-29-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Nymphmaster P

Sounds like a blast Mike. Half the fun was all the yacking online about the trip prior to and after the trip. Some of my favorite times on the Juan. Will give it my best shot to make it this year. See if I can join a carpool, should not be an issue. Thanks for thinking of this Seldom!!!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Only made one Juanuary but it was most memorable (2008 ...year of the frozen tundra!). It was great meeting guys I had conversed with on here finally in person. I would love to go again but it might have to be 2017. We will have just returned from Pagosa Springs on the 10th so a quick turnaround might be impossible. The good news is we are in the planning stages of making a permanent move to Pagosa Springs in mid 2016 ...that will mean many days on the Juan and easy to make all future Juanuaries!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Even though I made it to the Jaunary only once (2009) when I was working in Albuquerque, it was a good time that I haven't forgotten. I remeber being at Abe's and watching the AZ Cardinals win their playoff games to earn their first trip to the Superbowl, only to fall to the Steelers! I would really like to go back to the Juan if I can, but I have a lot of excuses this time. If I can get my lower back and neck problems to go away.... who knows, I might be having back surgery by then.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:19 PM

I am interested, assuming it is an open invite. I have yet to fish with anyone on this forum so it would be great to get to know some of you.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM

Totally open invite.

It is do it yourself. We will see where it goes.

To those of you wondering what the heck I am talking about here is the group trip subforum:

http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/...splay.php?f=35

Maybe this thread will evolve into a subforum of its own.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM

I am in
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Sounds like good times! I was thinking about passing through there sometime around then. I'm 75% in for swinging by 1-2 of those days.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Man, would love to go. Especially considering I missed my annual week-long Juan trip this year. But nursing school starts up January 19th, that would be tight. I'll see what happens between now and then.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 AM

I'm in.