Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Hello

Hello, I am relatively new to fly fishing but have been fortunate to spend a lot of time on the water. I have fished most often up in the rim as my mom has a cabin up in Pine. In addition to Arizona I have been fortunate to fish Montana a couple of times in addition to Colorado. I got into this sport after inheriting my uncles equipment after he passed away. He spent his entire career as a fly guide in Redding, Ca.

I finally got signed up for this forum so I figured I would introduce myself and post one questions for the group. I have learned a ton from this forum and look forward to being a more active participant.

I ran across this pattern in the latest edition of Fly Fusion Magazine....so I tied a few up (oh yeah, I am into tying as well). Does anyone think this pattern will work on the streams in AZ? Pretty wild...one wouldn't imagine this pattern will work anywhere but the guy who created it said, "this pattern shouldn't catch fish, but it does". He designed it for heavily fished waters. Here are the blue balls weevil I tied up.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Something different

If you want to throw something different, these will do that.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Fliegenbinder

They'll fish.

Catching and Releasing fisherfolk for 40+yrs!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Berkley Power Bait- Stonefly edition... Lol! Those will catch fish more than likely.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:58 PM

If they don't work you can also glue them together to make on large Christmas tree ornament!! J/k ...kinda.

When nothing is working on the trout front I have dug into my bass flies and throw some purple or pink crystal buggers and caught fish ...same concept.

Bottom line give them a try and if they work don't tell anyone ...you will be the only one catching fish because no one else will have one in the box!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

personally I wouldn't fish them, but they are blue which some including myself think is a trigger. they also look well tied besides the over dressed tails. try them you may be surprised, but hold some std nimps in reserve
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM

I think stocked trout and smaller stream breds will eat it. I love Flashy bright colors for stockers. But I would be suprised if a trophy fish would eat it. So in a nut shell yes they will catch fish!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 PM

am sure they will work only 1 wy to find out try and see good luck i like the color looks pretty cool
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the fun responses. I will be on the water Wednesday mid afternoon and will post any success or lack thereof.

And I especially appreciate the feedback by Mr. Blur. I started tying just recently (3 months ago). So to me your feedback was very valuable. Goose biots give me the biggest fit so I tend to focus on them the most...I'm sure other details get neglected.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 AM

Location: No longer in paradise, stuck in a place where you need a lease to hunt or fish
Blue? Who knows? There's a tendency to use more reds in my homewater, with one local tier who swears by chartreuse. I throw a peacock stimulator that works very well in late summer.