Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM

What's the strangest thing you've seen a trout do?

Many years ago in Colorado, I was fishing the Frying Pan River just below Reudi (Roodeye) Dam. I was walking on an access road near a gauging station when I spotted two or three good size rainbows in a shallow (maybe 12" deep), slow moving section of the river near the bank. One of the trout had something white and large in its mouth. I was able maneuver in a position where I didn't spook the fish and was able to see what it had. It was a piece of a white grocery bag. Initially, I thought it was caught in the trout's mouth until it released the bag. It would chase it downstream a couple of yards, grab it then go back to where it released it as if it was playing fetch. It did this several times.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM

After being in an aerated photarium for 20 minutes, the wild Colorado River Cutthroat was caught again on the same fly as soon as we finished packing up the equipment.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 PM

I saw a very large - could not tell if it was a brown or rainbow - trout chase a muskrat out of a hole I was fishing on the Little Colorado, on the X-Diamond Ranch.

I had just pulled a fairly nice fish out of the rocks at the head of the pool, and saw a swirl, commotion, then the muskrat making tracks underwater with the trout right underneath him...I briefly thought they were connected by monofilament or something, but the trout chased him all the way out of the pool.

That trout was as long as the muskrat, must have been one mean, territorial fish..and ticked off for some reason.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 PM

A big brown trying in MT trying eat a snagged streamer stripped back in...that snagged streamer was an 8" bunch of veg. Not crazy bizarre but was cool to watch...tells you what these fish will crush if given the opportunity.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM

While fishing a small creek in the Black Hills of South Dakota I saw a rainbow picking off insects right off a willow branch dangling above the water. The fish would come up out of the water like a dolphin tailing across the ocean. It was strange!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Looking at me with its frozen eyeball while napping in my freezer.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Jim you're always good for a laugh! Funny!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Trout have no fingers but still manage to flip me off on a regular basis.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:35 PM

I've had some encounters over the years with very aggressive trout, specifically backcountry browns in eastern Arizona. A couple memorable instances...

I was sitting on a downed log watching a large pool, looking downstream and near the head was a deep, wide run against a cliff bank with a few over hanging branches growing out of the cliff side near the waters edge. Before too long, I saw some movement at the surface. I was able to move into place from below under a big canopy and put the fly right into the foam line coming down the run along the cliff bank however about 5 feet up from my fly on the leader it dropped over the branch that was a few feet up on the cliff bank. As the fly drifted downstream I pulled in the slack. Since the line had landed over the branch, as I begun to pull in slack the fly naturally was pulled out of the water. Slowly, I pulled the line to try and not tangle anything further knowing that deep run was between me and fly and getting over there would be difficult without swimming or rock climbing. Within a second of the fly lifting from the surface of the water, it must have been nearly a foot off the water and a brown came flying out to grab it.

While on another stream of this same watershed, I had been exploring for quite some time many trips, some multiple day walking many miles I had found some prime pockets and boulder runs. It was early spring, high water and the fish were against banks, boulders in the slower water. A particular plunge pool looked promising. After some missed strikes I finally connected, pulling in a 4" brown. I had pulled it out from the plunge pool, then dropped it back in hoping it would pop off or maybe something larger would take an opportunity to eat. The latter occurred to our amazement...a trout had engulfed this 4" brown and a battle ensued with a good buddy fortunately quick to action to run downstream below the rough plunge pools and boulders this fish had taken a beeline for. That was quite the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.jpg (94.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 AM

Wow, Westy, that brown in the picture is a toad!! Is that the one from the second story?