Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Trout Bum In Training

Rocky Mountain National Park

I will be visiting the great state of Colorado tomorrow and would like to fish.. Would anyone be willing to PM me a hike in lake I could fish in RMNP? I'm willing to offer a dozen flies for someone that can help me out

Big fish isn't a priority of mine but would be a positive.. I really am looking more so for a lake I can hike into that's secluded and has the beauty the area is known for. If there's an area I can hike to a couple lakes in one day that would be an added bonus!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Honestly, there's Aton of water everywhere and it all probably holds fish. If I where you I would just grab a trail map, pick a lake or stream that has to be hiked to and have fun. That place is beautiful and tons of wild life. You will have a blast. While fishing a small mountain stream somewhere in the park (I was 16 so I don't remember the name of the stream or how to get there) my little brother was almost attacked by a bull moose. They where literally staring eye to eye with about 5 feet between them. Good times! Have fun and post pics my friend!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM

I hope you can find some water ...tough time to be fishing. I had family there last week and they said the Big T was running high and muddy. I have only gone in the late summer and early fall so I really can't tell you what to expect this time of year but I would imagine most of the higher elevation lakes will be tough to get to. Fern Lake Trail follows the Big T and you have four lakes that all have greenbacks (Fern, Odessa, Loomis and Spruce). Fern Lake is just 4 miles in ...the other three are not that much further but require some serious climbing. If you have time drop into Kirk's Fly Shop in Estes Park ...they can lead you in the right direction.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM

Come prepared for weather you will definitely run into some. Its hailing quarter size as im writing this with more on the way. Also still lots of snow above tree line.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM

I would check with one of the fly shops in Estes Park or even Boulder about the ice situation. I'm guessing a lot of the better lakes up high still have ice as they had a very cool and wet month of May. Some of the better lakes in RMNP are hiking out of the Bear Lake trailhead vicinity or the Wild Basin trailhead. Use this page as a reference to see if a lake will have fish or not... http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

The Trout Zone Blog

http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Hit the Roaring River... Native Green back Cutts.. Perfect little stream.. nice trail winds up along it. I've hit this stream many times always good luck. I've even hiked up to Lawn Lake and that's just as good. I've killed them on an olive WD40.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf1212 View Post
I will be visiting the great state of Colorado tomorrow and would like to fish.. Would anyone be willing to PM me a hike in lake I could fish in RMNP? I'm willing to offer a dozen flies for someone that can help me out

Big fish isn't a priority of mine but would be a positive.. I really am looking more so for a lake I can hike into that's secluded and has the beauty the area is known for. If there's an area I can hike to a couple lakes in one day that would be an added bonus!
Any luck? I am headed up the end of the month and am eager for some info. Thanks.