Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2008 - Jan 18,19,20

Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM

Fishing the Texas Hole

After a quick look and bypass the past two years, I fished the Texas Hole of the San Juan this year for the first time.

On the float with Jude we launched and fished it for a while (caught fish too!). Yet it was the last day of Juanuary '08 when I feel like I really fished it since we spent the whole day Sunday there.

Honestly, it is way too crowded for my personal taste, but it is an event in itself.

What an incredible pool.

To be able to withstand the tremendous pressure it surely receives, it holds up.

It has to be one of the greater river pools in the US.

What are its rivals?

Last edited by Seldomseen; 01-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Better yet is late in the day when everyone else has left the river and you have it all to yourself as the last of the glowing light in the west. Now you can hear the river sing.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Pass the Rum, Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
It has to be one of the greater river pools in the US.

What are its rivals?
I would hazard a guess that the "Toilet Bowl" on the Pan in CO would be one that comes to most FF'ers minds.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I'll second Bighand's comments. Last summer it was a blast catching the risers just before dark on sz 24 paras. Of course, the skeeters made the trip back to the parking lot miserable. Amazing how quiet it gets at that time.

Phil
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Iluvmyfly
White mountain read my mind! After living there for two years the toilet bowl on a good day is a sure thing to hook up to the fish of a lifetime. I say hook up because there are two concrete pillars and those fish did not get that big being stupid. 8x (yes 8 ) and concrete do not mix! The biggest I have seen caught out of there was two weeks before I moved and was the one I posted on that was 31in and 15lbs

However I do agree t hole is a great hole. I sat out there one afternoon with Jude and threw 22 dries 40 feet to a rising pod of fish. One of the best days of dry flying I have ever had.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
aka twelvepoundlunker

I've been to the Juan 3 times now and everytime I walk to the t-hole, see the crowds and then head up river. Next year I'll have to give it a try. Maybe cheif will save me a spot. My M.O. is I'd rather fish somewere less crowded and catch fewer fish than somewhere that's pack and catch alot of fish. Maybe next year I'll be more flexable.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Trout Bum In Training

I've never fished it I always thought it was way to crowded for my taste
Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM

Great question.

I fished the T-hole and the Toilet Bowl on consecutive weekends once a few years ago. It was ridiculously cold at the Toilet Bowl and the water was like chocolate milk on the Juan, so they each had their obstacles.

We fished the Toilet Bowl on a Friday night and it wasn't crowded. We landed great fish and lost even greater ones - all on a variety of mysis patterns fished w/ tons of weight. Saturday it was crowded and even colder. I still think about the brown that Jude posted a while ago - that'll keep you coming back...

We made it to the Juan a few days later and avoided the huge crowds on Sunday morning. By Sunday night there were only two other people there and we spanked them on everything from leeches, KF midges, and on the surface. The next day we went back to the T-Hole after getting beat up all morning on the upper river. Finding the right pattern and the right seam to drift yielded fish after fish - one of the best mid day periods of my life.

So, all in all, I don't think I can say one is better than the other. I like the fish from the Toilet Bowl, but I think the T-Hole can handle the pressure better, is bigger, and can produce in quantities.

Another hole I'll throw out there for Krai is the Manchester Hole near Lake Erie. It can have the worst crowd I've ever seen and is the ultimate for the cheese factor. However, if you visit during the week when there is a horrible wind blowing and the cold keeps everyone at home, it can be a blast... steelhead stacked up on top of eachother. Really, it sucks, but on the right day can yield some good memories.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Iluvmyfly
Here is another one. The tailwater section of the yampa. It has a lot of water that resembles the Henry's fork. There are some big fish and they are always subsurface feeding. It took me a few trips to figure out but when I did I caught some of the hottest rainbows that I have ever seen. Fun place to fish!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Pass the Rum, Mon

After reading Chief's account, what about Silver Ditch on the Taylor (AZ) River .