Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2009 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 01-20-2009, 04:57 PM

A Shout Out to Philthy

Phil - thanks so much for the float on Sunday.

I needed to get that stink off bad and that was just the ticket.

Despite my offers to row, you manned the oars all day and put us on fish. Nice boat.

Thanks for taking us for a day on your home river and your fine hospitality.

Sorry for missing all those strikes.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Guys,

The pleasure was ALL mine! I'd actually thought about it back in April when I bought the boat. Hopefully, I'll have more time next year so we can get Dana out there as well. I'd had buyers remorse early on about getting that thing, but it's pretty darn awesome. Never thought I could justify it, but I'm getting some use and putting smiles on lots of faces - that's what it's all about.

Mostly, I want to thank everyone for making James feel at home. That alone was priceless. Couldn't get him to shut up all the way home and he'll probably postpone his trip to see his Mom in Boise by a couple weeks so he can get over to the Whites. I'm looking at the schedule tommorow.

I'll forgive you guys for sleeping on the job, but won't forget You both did pretty well, considering. All you guys need to get back up here during other times of the year and see something besides mud and snow.

Phil
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Nymphmaster P

Phil's a good man and I think you guys saw that. Not too bad to drag your boat down to the Juan from Alby and float you guys for a day, that is good people in my book!!! I agree with Phil 100%, you guys need to come down during the summer, right after the flows come back down. There is a 2-3 window once the flows are down, that are...wait for it.....SICK!!!!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Tried to plan that summer trip but people must be to busy doing other things but I will be there.....

CHIEF
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Thanks Phil for the great float trip. What a great way to spend a day. Maybe a summer trip this year. Let's start planning now. When do the flows come back down?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
CHIEF

Now we are talking, the 2nd week of July. I will tell you that you will catch fish all on dries and no need to bring any wet flies and if you do, you just become one of the many.
I spend 2 week there and camping is the best if you staying this long and a good dunk in the river at the end of the day feels real good.

CHIEF
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Mostly, I want to thank everyone for making James feel at home. That alone was priceless. Couldn't get him to shut up all the way home and he'll probably postpone his trip to see his Mom in Boise by a couple weeks so he can get over to the Whites. I'm looking at the schedule tommorow.

Phil
James is a cool kid. We definitely need to hook up in the Whites.
I told him to work on you to get signed up for the Hawley trip... sounds like he wasted no time doing that.
It was nice to meet you both.

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
Now we are talking, the 2nd week of July. I will tell you that you will catch fish all on dries and no need to bring any wet flies and if you do, you just become one of the many.
I spend 2 week there and camping is the best if you staying this long and a good dunk in the river at the end of the day feels real good.

CHIEF
I think a summer derby there would be fun although it is the most crowded then I am sure. If I am still working here in Albuquerqe this summer, I plan on making a few more trips to the Juan for sure. CHIEF, I thought I might finally meet you on this past trip but sorry it didn't happen. This spring when I commute back and forth from ABQ to PHX I hope to hit some of the White Mtn lakes, so maybe then.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
CHIEF

Crowds are not what you will be worried about, how fast you can you tie another fly will be the issue when you have been broke off and those fish are still rising. Yes, it's crowded but you'll will be surpised how many people don't fish skinny waters for nice bows and those crowds are still nymphing.

CHIEF
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter View Post
Thanks Phil for the great float trip. What a great way to spend a day. Maybe a summer trip this year. Let's start planning now. When do the flows come back down?
Greg,

I'm sure the "King of all that is Chubby" now residing in Idaho can give more exact dates on the flow drop, but it seems most years the month of May is 5K, and flows dropping in early June. The lake level is 15-20' lower than last year, so we probably won't have an extended higher flow this spring (bummer). The middle of June can be sweet, but like Chief said, you can hammer the snot out of 'em all summer long. Bring the skeeter dope and sunscreen!