Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2009 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Juanuary '09 Weather Thread

Well, we are just a day or two out from where the "experts" will start to offer long range forecasts. Long range computer models, experience, and seasonal considerations will dictate.

What we want is zonal west to east flow for fair weather. North winds mean cold, south winds mean possible wet storm.

Right now from what I can see on the satellite loops looks anything but zonal. A rather large (amplified) ridge is building in the Pacific from Hawaii to SE Alaska

An intense and large area of low pressure is deepening is the north Pacific behind this ridge.

So I guess we will watch the ridge over the next week to see if it wins and pushes the storm track to the north, is broken down, or surrenders and pushes east.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 01-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

****, I just hope we don't get one dem cut off lows that er spin fer days over us boys
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
Weather, schmeather

Heavens to Hades, gents. What's all this weather fuss? We are men, right? O wait, you have been there and I have not.

Well, I will probably be so butt-*** cold, with stove up knees, wrists, and fingers that I just won't give a hoot. I know one thing, no matter how cold, how sore, or how hungover, when that line gets tight, everything is alright.

Keep a happy thought (and some warm coffee/brandy).

Sunny and about 65 degrees would be okay with me.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
How about lake-affect snow and 9 degree mornings till the sun creeps over the dam.... and 24 degrees feels good for the days high at T-Hole.....

CHIEF
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

That ridge is still out there, creeping a little towards the east.

The low pressure on the other side is quite impressive. Enormous and cold. Nearly as big as the Continental US.

Still way too far out to predict the weather for Juanuary, but it looks like the after a cool down this weekend, the high pressure on this side of the ridge will drift over provide some fine weather through the middle of the next week.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm dying - I can not wait to get on the water.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM

What's the high Friday going to be close to 70. You know that winters iceie fingers are gong to creep back in. Her hand is going to smash down hard. You guys better be looking for snow chains for those 4 wheel and drop it in 4 low.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM

The latest on that ridge from the NWS Phx:

Quote:
238 PM MST FRI JAN 9 2009

BY SUNDAY...PACIFIC RIDGE OFF THE CALIFORNIA COAST BEGINS TO STRENGTHEN TO AN IMPRESSIVE 592 DM...BEFORE IT BEGINS SLOWLY MIGRATING TO THE EAST. THIS MEANS CONTINUED DRY AND ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES THROUGH NEXT WEEK.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Nymphmaster P

You guys deserve 3-4 awesome days of weather on the Juan after last year. Looks like you are going to get it. Sweet!!!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDrifli View Post
You guys deserve 3-4 awesome days of weather on the Juan after last year. Looks like you are going to get it. Sweet!!!
Unless that ridge keeps sliding east..............