Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Swap Photos

Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM

Rick was worried that fly looked "Rough" compared to the others. I told him it was old school, 70's Banger cool and that it would catch fish. Glad to see I was right. I'm saving mine for redfish in May.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Rick was worried that fly looked "Rough" compared to the others. I told him it was old school, 70's Banger cool and that it would catch fish. Glad to see I was right. I'm saving mine for redfish in May.
fly works real well.. only thing id change is to trim the bottom of the cork, and to coat the paint in CCG.. latex paint ( im guessing thats what you used.) doesnt stick well to cork.. enamel would have been a better paint choice.

seriously stoked i brought that fly w/ me to ULM and gave it a toss. changed the whole game that day.

thanks rick!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM

That is funny. I wasn't feeling like my fly was up to snuff. I wanted a popper that moved alot of water for the ocean but didn't know it would work on pike. So you're saying I should sand the bottom flat? Thanks KC. Seriously... I love all the flys from the swap. I wanted to fish them at the San Juan but was afraid I would lose one of them. I think that black thing would work on pike too and it moves water. Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieflyfish View Post
That is funny. I wasn't feeling like my fly was up to snuff. I wanted a popper that moved alot of water for the ocean but didn't know it would work on pike. So you're saying I should sand the bottom flat? Thanks KC. Seriously... I love all the flys from the swap. I wanted to fish them at the San Juan but was afraid I would lose one of them. I think that black thing would work on pike too and it moves water. Thanks guys!
yeah. sand the bottom so there is more of a gape.. I missed probably 10 fish before i realized there wasnt enough space between the hook tip and the cork. i borrowed DJs knife and cut it down on the bottom of the cork, and next hit.. fish on.

and it works REALLY well on the pike right now.not sure how long it will last up there but its killing it while they are in pre spawn attack mode.

the googly eyes are cool as they rattle when stripped as well.

cool fly!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Agreed. When stripped that fly leaves a wake behind it and the feisty pike were really keying in on it. KC was like a kid at chuck e cheese with that thing!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieflyfish View Post
They were one the black thing with a yellow collar on Saturday.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
OLD FART

Mudbug did not send enough of his flies...the FHM (Floating Head Minnow).
Looks like a great fly for Redfish.
I just had to tie some, with a slightly larger head than Mudbugs.
Enjoyed participating in the swap.
Kudos to AZMandella for his EP Rattle Gill and Newby for the Slumpbuster. Nice to see young tyers progressing so well.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDWILLY View Post
Mudbug did not send enough of his flies...the FHM (Floating Head Minnow).
Looks like a great fly for Redfish.
I just had to tie some, with a slightly larger head than Mudbugs.
Enjoyed participating in the swap.
Kudos to AZMandella for his EP Rattle Gill and Newby for the Slumpbuster. Nice to see young tyers progressing so well.

Cool, your sparkle looks better than mine. I added it last minute trying to imitate the green flash in the black diamond hair. I didn't have any head cement with sparkle so I just added some green glitter I had laying around to an almost empty bottle of sally hanson's. It didn't suspend very well and came out uneven.

What did you use?

And yes, I plan on using them for redfish. That color seems like a good mullet pattern. I'll just add some red gills.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM
OLD FART

The "cement" is a water based product I got from Pat Dunlap at Cascade Crest Tools. Just looked and cannot find it in his catalog, but I know it is available.
Very similar to Softex, which is a solvent based product.
The glitter came from a local hobby shop and is very fine and sprayable.
Mixed the glitter with the "cement" on a small piece of cardboard, brushed it on, and rotated for an hour.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
OLD FART

Just found it.....called Clear Coat.
You could also use Liquid Fusion which is a waterbased clear urethane glue. Available almost everywhere.
Hope this helps.