Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 03:15 PM

Greer

Taking my mom up to Greer the first week in August to keep her from getting her stir-crazy butt on a plane in the middle of a pandemic. I figure getting her out of the house, and driving her around AZ will buy me some time until she's chomping at the bit to do something else. I'll probably have one full day to have a go at fishing. Any tips? Is Sheep's Crossing still the primary spot? Are there other points of access? Upstream, downstream? I'm not averse to a solid day hike, but won't have the time to backpack. Nor am averse to a solid drive to get to a trailhead for a solid hike. I don't get up to the Whites very often anymore. And when I do, I usually head towards the Black. I think it's been 19 years since I've been on the Little Colorado, and it was closed at Sheep's Crossing at the time (don't remember why). Are flows/temperature very cooperative this time of year? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to JerryM
consider fishing over at the X-Diamond ranch. You will be right near by.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:54 AM

The WFLCR just South of Greer is stocked and you can continue fishing upstream for wild trout.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:57 PM

Thanks, Joe. Few more questions if you don't mind. Do you mean just south of town, like where you follow Main St south to that trailhead? It's stocked there, and then upstream from there one might find more wild populations? Or like south of Greer, stocked at Sheep's Crossing, and go upstream from there? Prefer fishing to 4" wild trout than 15" stocked fish. Also, what goes on below the resevior? Looks to be a fairly steep canyon. I can't seem to find any routes in on topos, trail apps, google earth, etc, other than maybe following Lang Creek or Hall Creek in, which topographically doesn't look too bad, but satellite suggests it might be slow going and require more than a day hike if I expect to get any fishing done as well. Appreciate your help.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:25 PM

You can follow the LCR down from RR- not that bad.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:22 AM

What flyer said for downstream (North) below RR.
Both areas that you mentioned South of Greer have stocked and wild trout.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Could go downstream and upstream from Sheeps Crossing for wild trout.

Last edited by joe; 07-20-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:38 PM

There are some very large browns downstream of River Reservoir in the LCR. Wild browns upstream of Greer. The area through Greer gets stocked. If you're up for smaller creeks, Hall Creek has wild browns.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiordano View Post
There are some very large browns downstream of River Reservoir in the LCR. Wild browns upstream of Greer. The area through Greer gets stocked. If you're up for smaller creeks, Hall Creek has wild browns.
I didn't get to fish hall this year when I was up there but from my research there used to be a rare species in the head waters. Well rare for AZ, only a few other streams have those trout.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

OP, any report for us?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekhiker View Post
I didn't get to fish hall this year when I was up there but from my research there used to be a rare species in the head waters. Well rare for AZ, only a few other streams have those trout.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

OP, any report for us?
We had planned on electrofishing it, but I left the agency before we did. I don't think anyone has sampled it for a long time. Haven't heard if they are still up there or not.

Last edited by bgiordano; 08-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.