Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Licenses

While talking to a very nice AZG&F game warden near JD Dam, last week, he gave me a very good idea. We were talking about these game warden shows and how many anglers/hunters they encounter who have a license but don't have it with them. Many wardens will use their radios or computers to verify the license.

He suggested, which I have now done, to use your smart phone and make a photo of your license. If you are in a remote area without your license and where there is no radio/internet service for an officer to check on your license, having one on your phone may get you out of a ticket. This would work well for other documents without vital information.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 PM

That’s a good idea.

Or...just keep your license with you as a vital part of your fishing gear. As vital as your fly rod, or flies, etc.

My wallet, or at least a condensed version of if is with me wherever I go. And therefore so is my license.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:25 PM

I cannot recall ever leaving something at home for a camping/hunting/fishing trip. I am a "list" person and have been for a long time. It's probably accurate to say I usually take too much equipment. One thing I have never forgotten is my wallet which always has my hunting/fishing license. Now, that's not to say I have forgotten something for a side trip from a base camp. Here is an example.

My best friend (I refuse to use BFF) and long time fishing and elk hunting partner and I went to Creede, CO for a week long fishing trip to various locations. We went for a second trip to his favorite secret small creek (about the size of Canyon or a bit larger) for nice cutthroat trout. We drove a few miles by way of an old cattle drive trail, parked then walked down the side of a hill to the creek (about one mile). I left my fly reel at the vehicle but did have the fly rod. I wasn't about to walk back up the hill to retrieve it and I couldn't convince him to get it so we fished up the creek alternating using his rod and reel between fish.

And of course, having a photo of a big game license with an elk or deer tag won't cut it.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 11-27-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:24 AM
Nymphmaster P

I purchase my license online. When I print my license I print 6 or 7 copies. I put one in my wallet, one in my hunting vest, one in my float tube, one in my waders pocket and one in my fly pack, I never don't have it. I still have a couple extras in case one gets lost or wet.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDrifli View Post
I purchase my license online. When I print my license I print 6 or 7 copies. I put one in my wallet, one in my hunting vest, one in my float tube, one in my waders pocket and one in my fly pack, I never don't have it. I still have a couple extras in case one gets lost or wet.
A bit OCD...but good, Paul
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Nymphmaster P

Not OCD, just lose stuff often. Been checked quail hunting 3 times and I had left my license in my fly pack. All 3 times I had to go to court and show proof that I had one. Fun having to take a day off work and drive to Eloy to prove I had a license. Never again.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM

I was checked at Silverbell Lake here in Tucson once, had switched wallets and was missing my urban permit, back when you needed them.

Luckily, the G&F officer hadn't seen me fishing beforehand so let me go without a ticket that day.

I got a trespassing citation many years ago, with my wife and younger son, fishing illegally at the 49-ers country club. In justice court, the stenographer asked the Justice of the Peace if he would let me fish his pond, which both of us declined...cost $25, as I recall.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:45 PM

I combo the above... I print multiples and carry electronically. I have a copy in my standard tackle box, backpack style fly bag, shoulder bag, birding field vest, and car. Why have to remember to bring something so important? Lastly, with most everyone carrying a phone everywhere, why not have an e-copy?
Old 11-30-2018, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Great ideas... already have a couple copies and on phone but printing and stashing more
Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 PM

As I moved to FL they give you a credit card style license. Sooooo much better. Slip it into your wallet and you're good. Probably costs an extra $. 10.