Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Learning as we go

South Fork Snake River

I just have an opinion based question for everyone. I am heading up to Idaho in late July this year and I will have a free day and planned to go over to the South Fork of the Snake River to wet a line. I have done some reading and found that a lot of guys fish the SF with a 6wt. I mostly fish small water and my largest rod is a 9'5wt Sage Z-axis that I take to the Ferry. For those of you that have fished the SF, is a 6wt necessary or can I do it with a 5? I'm hoping by that time of year to be throwing large dries. I would eventually like to get a 6wt as a double nymph or streamer rod but I can throw most things with my 5wt except the heaviest of streamers.

So what do you think? is the 6wt a necessity or a luxury on the South Fork? Thanks guys and I hope everyone is having a happy new year!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Floated it two summers ago with a 5WT...didn't have any problem chucking those chubby chernobyls with it...

Enjoy! Beautiful country!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:54 AM

Where are you staying?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 AM

5WT will be fine. I used to fish my 5WT all the time on the big rivers in MT, ID, WY until I got my 6WT. The 6Wt certainly makes it easier, but you'll be good with the 5. Are you planning on floating or wading?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM

You should be fine with the 5WT, especially if you're floating since you won't have to cast very far. The 6WT comes in handy in the lower canyon float in the afternoons when the wind can get pretty fierce.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostlost View Post
Where are you staying?
I'll be in Rexburg attending my sister's college graduation and then I'll be taking her fishing the next day. I booked a guided float with the Lodge @ Palisades Creek since they can provide all the gear she needs at no additional cost. If they have them, I might try out the new Orvis Helios 3 rods on the trip but I'm pretty particular about using my own gear. I have used my 5wt at Lee's Ferry, the Green in Utah, and a few other larger bodies of water so I'm sure it will be fine. That afternoon wind might be a factor but we'll see.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM

you'll be just fine with a 5 wt. even if you decide to throw streamers at the bank ( which you should)

also, don't forget the Purple Haze

SF is a beautiful river, and if you have a few extra hours rexburg isn't too far from island park, and even being at the Henry's Fork is a special experience!

have a good trip!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Simple, buy a 6 wt

As others have said, you will be fine with a 5 wt. In the last year or so I have been using my 6 WT more and more as I often throw streamers for some portion of every day on the water. I used to carry two rods when on the water and now most often just bring along the 6wt.

I really like the Helios 3, fished with it for a day in GA. I recently just picked up the new Thomas and Thomas Avantt 6 weight that I have fallen head over heels in love with that you are also more than welcome to borrow it if you would like.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1979 View Post
Simple, buy a 6 wt

I really like the Helios 3, fished with it for a day in GA. I recently just picked up the new Thomas and Thomas Avantt 6 weight that I have fallen head over heels in love with that you are also more than welcome to borrow it if you would like.
That is very gracious of you to offer to let me borrow your rod. That T&T rod looks really nice and I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel borrowing someone else's $850 rod. I got a pretty sizable bonus from work this year and I have been wanting to buy a 6wt for some time now so I think I am going to purchase one and I may have found the one I want!

Before I go into it, I have to preface it by saying I am not a rod builder, nor do I really want to get into building rods and customizing them so I pretty much stick with the rods I can touch and feel at the local fly shops. I just had chance to cast one of the new Sage X 9ft 6wt rods. That thing is AWESOME. I love my Z-Axis, and hated the Sage One with it's really stiff tip section. The X feels more like my Z-Axis but with better accuracy at all distances. And I like the half wells grip they put on it. Not a fan of the anodized black reel seat hardware, but I can get over that.

Thank you guys for the advice and opinions on this.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp820 View Post
That is very gracious of you to offer to let me borrow your rod. That T&T rod looks really nice and I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel borrowing someone else's $850 rod. I got a pretty sizable bonus from work this year and I have been wanting to buy a 6wt for some time now so I think I am going to purchase one and I may have found the one I want!

Before I go into it, I have to preface it by saying I am not a rod builder, nor do I really want to get into building rods and customizing them so I pretty much stick with the rods I can touch and feel at the local fly shops. I just had chance to cast one of the new Sage X 9ft 6wt rods. That thing is AWESOME. I love my Z-Axis, and hated the Sage One with it's really stiff tip section. The X feels more like my Z-Axis but with better accuracy at all distances. And I like the half wells grip they put on it. Not a fan of the anodized black reel seat hardware, but I can get over that.
Thank you guys for the advice and opinions on this.
Figure out what rod blank you like by casting them and then have Chadders (Chad VanNess) or Ron of South West custom rods build one for you. Then you will get to choose all the specific hardware that you want and make it absolutely beautiful for the same cost or less. Iíve built several of my own rods and one for a friend also and itís quite enjoyable fishing a rod that is customized with your own preferences.