Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 AM

Indicators

Hello,

Any suggestions on types of indicators to use. I want to use a yarn type but I have no idea on what to buy, if you go into some place like Walmart they have 100s of types of yarns. I picked one out but had no success with it, the yarn kept falling apart. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM

There are a ton of different indicators out there and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like either the foam stick ons or the type made yarn and a rubber ring. I use the stick on type if I'm throwing my 3wt. because they are smaller and are easier to cast, plus they float great. Downside is they can't be adjusted because when you do they slip around. The yarn is great because it can be easily adjusted and floats well. My advice is to buy the indicator yarn available at any fly shop, sportsmans, ect. It only costs about $1-2 a pack and will last you quite a while pending how much you use it. Anyway hope this helps. Tight Lines.

Jason
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Nymphmaster P

The yarn I use is macrame yarn, black is my favorite color to use. I also make fairly thin and short so as to not spook the fish. I also like to use the spirit river foam indicators, way over priced but easy to move, come in a couple color combinations and two different sizes.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM

SJDrifli hooked me up with a foam indicator on a rubber ring. I was impressed. Easy to cast, won't get water logged and easy to see. If I am in water of varying depth, I use a yarn indicator tied to a hollow plastic tube. I thread the leader thru it & secure it with a toothpick. That way I can change depth quickly. When I use the rubber loop, it is pretty much on there all day as it is a pain to loosen & readjust(although it can be done- usually puts a little pigtail in the line).
PK
Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 AM

I am a huge advocate of the Frog Hair adjustable indis... They come in 4 sizes and the rubber grommets inside of the can be replaced and re-used. I am not a fan of the fact that they are bight orange but that is nothing a black Prismacolor marker can't fix. They are great for big water nymphing. I like the Palsa pinch-on's for small stream nymphing (I like the white one's because they look like a air bubble) If I am long leader, dry fly fishing I like to tie a small piece of yarn about 5 feet from my flys as a point of reference. Bottom line, so many indicators, each one serves a good function depedning on the application. I carry four types... You never know...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Big water. lot of lead, heavy fly - yarn (with or without rubber ring).

Small water - pinch-on foam. I have seen folks use two or three of the pinch-ons on big water as well. I hate losing them off the leader, have to retrieve them ot come back three years from now and see them on the bank.

There are some interesing new foam post inidcators, haven't tried them yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Thank you all for your opinions. Can these diff types of indicators be purchased locally?

thanks again
Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Macrame yarn and craft rope work great most of the time.
On super heavy rigs I bust out the balloons.
On slow moving water I like the "pinch on" palsas
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Modelator

If you use the pinch ons at the Juan, take a black sharpie with you to color one side black. The fish either get super spooky of those bright orange and green colors, or they eat them!!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Former Member

Flyfisherman mag has an interesting article this month on fishing from a fish's perspective. Some crazy (er, I mean Marine Biologist) in a wet suit observing fish in their natural environment. It is facinating. He also provides a list of do's and don'ts for trout. One of the top items is use yarn indicators. Apparently the floats and putty types freak out the fish.