Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Rim Streams - Current Conditions??

Was wondering if anyone had been on the Rim Streams lately? I would like to head up this weekend, but will wait for conditions to improve if the water levels/flows are still super low.

I tend to visit the East Verde above Washington Park TH, Haigler from Fisherman's Point, and the C & R section of Canyon Creek, if anyone has info on those particular areas.

Of course, if I make it up this weekend I will report back what I find. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsbertMontcroffEsq View Post
Was wondering if anyone had been on the Rim Streams lately? I would like to head up this weekend, but will wait for conditions to improve if the water levels/flows are still super low.

I tend to visit the East Verde above Washington Park TH, Haigler from Fisherman's Point, and the C & R section of Canyon Creek, if anyone has info on those particular areas.

Of course, if I make it up this weekend I will report back what I find. Thanks!
As promised, here is my report. Decided to hit Lower Canyon Creek. I remember reading that the Upper East Verde was super low, and the guys at Orvis said Haigler was also really low.

Got on the water around 8AM to the sounds of elk bugling all around. That was pretty cool. Hike downstream for a few miles and worked our way up. Only saw a couple of cars, and didn't encounter another fisherman on the stream all day. When leaving saw a few others, but couldn't beat the solitude for a Saturday.

The creek was super low, clear, and there were no clouds. Tough fishing. But we saw lots of fish, which was encouraging. Usually the fish were darting away. We were super stealthy, moved slowly, minded our shadows, and approached from behind but the trout seemed to sense us from 20 feet away. I was surprised at the amount of suckers in Canyon Creek, which were unmistakable.

Still managed to catch a few trout, from a a nice rainbow (a stocker from the upper creek?) on a black leach and a feisty brown on a soft hackle PT nymph.

Hope to get back when the water levels rise and perhaps on a cloudy day. In the meantime, while it's low, Canyon Creek is still in good shape and fishable.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Does anyone know if the gate leading into the C&R area is already closed? I can't remember if they close it on a set date each year, or wait for the weather to dictate it. Thinking of heading up there tomorrow/Thursday, and would like to know whether or not I'll be hiking in.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:21 AM

If you don't get a solid answer from this post. I would say that your best bet is to call the local ranger station.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:22 AM
Always Improving

Lower Canyon Creek received some fairly intense rain yesterday, and I'd imagine those clay roads will be pretty slick for the next couple of days.

Otherwise, Pleasant Valley Ranger District (928-462-4300) would be able to answer if the gate is open or closed.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info, I will give them a call.