Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM

oak creek

Good morning
I have to go to Sedona on Saturday for a birthday party. My son and I plan on sneeking away for half the day to fish. Without giving away any "super secret" honey holes, can someone tell me where we might want to give it a shot? We have never fished there. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 AM

couple of miles right north of town... Grasshopper Point. Drive down hill and take a trail to creek...

Someone helped me, so I'm passing it on to you
Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Have fun and make sure you get your red rock pass before you drive up the canyon. They have 'em at the Circle K in Sedona. There are several parking lots as well as Pull out's that will get you to some pretty diecent water. Start looking after slide rock. be sure to post a report when u get back, and have fun
Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM

A viable trout population starts up around Grasshopper Point, and extends upstream all the way to the source--wild browns and hatchery bows can be found throughout the stretch, with some places fishing better than others, depending on the timing and whim of the fish. The fishing was a bit slow in the vicinity of Grasshopper Point when I last explored it a week ago, but I found better results upstream.

I would suggest the water above Slide Rock, if you get there early to beat the crowds that are visiting the state park, or further upstream in the catch and release area, from Junipine Resort up to Call of the Canyon--both of these areas hold good populations of fish, particularly wild browns, and the access is generally good. However, the water is clear and dropping, so expect spooky fish and plan to employ stealth tactics.

I would recommend taking advantage of either the morning or evening too, when the light is off the water, or find shaded stretches midday, as the trout tend to be somewhat less skittish in lower light conditions. By the way, I managed to fool several good fish in one run last Sunday, in late afternoon, all on a dry (#12 parachute sparkle dun), pretty neat. Some #14-16 tan caddis have been hatching lately, and also occasional #12 March Browns (or some mayfly very similar in appearance).

Good luck, and tight lines,

Iain