Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM

That's the only positive I can see right now. A good flush to start the start over process.

I look forward to taking my son there to fish in about 8 years....

It's like we humans have a stupidity bucket list that includes ruining environments.
#1. Light Oak Creek on Fire. Check.
#2. Light the Black River on Fire. Check.
#3. Burn all the forests down in AZ. Half check.
#4. Quit using my brain because I need /use laws to tell me when I should and shouldn't have a fire in the middle of a tinder dry forest. Check.

And on and On
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Was down there yesterday, saw some fish at Indian Gardens. Couldn't tell if they were 'bows or browns. Water was clear there. Upstream from Slide Rock looks really rough, could see where the high water was and it left lots of ash/sludge on the banks.

Gotta say though that it doesn't look as bad as I had feared. I would not be at all surprised to see it be back much sooner than 8 years - maybe even next year.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Fisherman at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chef View Post
Was down there yesterday, saw some fish at Indian Gardens. Couldn't tell if they were 'bows or browns. Water was clear there. Upstream from Slide Rock looks really rough, could see where the high water was and it left lots of ash/sludge on the banks.

Gotta say though that it doesn't look as bad as I had feared. I would not be at all surprised to see it be back much sooner than 8 years - maybe even next year.
Bows have traditionally been stocked at the Indian Gardens bridge, so you most likely saw bows. There are some browns in there, but in my 15+ years fishing there, I have only spotted bows, but plenty of them! I have only heard about an occasional brown being caught (those darn browns are elusive!), but never seen. Iain (OakCreekAngler) probably has a name for every wild brown up there, though

Right below the bridge there is also a healthy population of those sucker fish. You may have seen those too?

Either way, that is very good news that fish are still alive. Thank you for the report. It is reassuring to know that the creek may be able to recover quickly.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM
trout lovin' chef

Sheriff,

I have caught several browns in that section over the last couple of years, but they could be 'bows - 99.99% certain they weren't suckers, different profile.

As you said, just glad to see fish.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 PM

I drove up thru Oak Creek Canyon this past Sunday just to check it out. Very sad seeing the areas that were burned. The water was the darkest I've ever seen it but wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I really hope it recovers soon as I haven't been able to explore it much at all. It's such a beautiful place! Even after the fire..
Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 PM

The creek near the Rainbow Trout fishing ponds this past Sunday..

Normally the water is crystal clear
Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 AM

Caught a few browns.....

Good news so far - there are still live browns in upper Oak Creek :-) My wife's family has many generations born in the Canyon, so I've been able to access the creek via private property.

It makes me sad to pull such beautiful creatures out of what looks like Turkish coffee, and return them to such unfitting drink. I imagine they are quite stressed, so I've just been checkin on 'em once a week or so - catch 2 or 3 to ease my mind and leave 'em be...

I must say, as time moves on, they seem to be fewer in number and much more timid / lethargic. Not sure exactly what the mechanism of stress would be; fire retardant, 02 saturation, sediment, disrupted food/feeding???

I'm in the canyon ~ 5 days a week and am very happy to report that with the consistent gentle rains the charred slopes are greening up much faster than any of us had expected We're nowhere near out-of-the-woods, but we seem to have caught a brake for the time being.

Last edited by RollininZona; 07-26-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
trout lovin' chef

Thanks Rollin!! Great to hear that you are seeing browns.