Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Retirement

We are now just a little over a year to retirement and, like many I suppose, going over the many options for where to hang our hats. We have been in WA now for 28 years and we've both had our fill of wet & gloomy. Besides, the Seattle corridor is simply getting overrun. We have property in MT (Ruby Valley) and building there still has our primary interest, but we've also thought about AZ or TX. Whatever location must have decent fishing options.

If MT, we plan to snowbird in winter, but now thinking we could buy a primary residence in the south and sunbird in the summer. A co-worker who retired a couple years ago lives close to Phoenix and they love it...but he does not fish. The problem is that we really don't know much about AZ and places to consider and, perhaps just as important -- places not to consider.

If you had your choice of locations in the southwest, where would it be?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, or Sedona in AZ. Several options in New Mexico also. Great dry weather, sun, and good to great fishing.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Tough question and much depends on what you are looking for aside from fishing. AZ has a lot to offer with a variety of activities and nicer weather but its getting pretty crowded. The valley is great for Golf, warm winters and decent cost of living. Plenty of scenery if you don't mind traveling a few hours and there's quite a variety of activities in general to keep busy with.

However there is no Comparison to Montana when it comes to trout fishing here in AZ. This would be one of the last places I would choose for trout fishing if I were relocating to fish.
Are you interested in warm water species? If so AZ has decent Bass fishing and some decent lakes close to the valley for wild warm water species.
I would say Texas has better fishing in general, but its a lot colder there in the winter.

Its funny you mention this because we've been trying to figure out a way to escape AZ TO Montana for the last 5 years. Personally I would spend all the time possible in MT and only come to the Valley for 3 or 4 months in winter if we had a choice.

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chef View Post
Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, or Sedona in AZ. Several options in New Mexico also. Great dry weather, sun, and good to great fishing.

This

What else are you looking for? What else interests you? Would do you want and dont want in places you want to move?

The az places above are good.
As far as NM you have other options as well. There is Santa Fe, Taos, and I think pecos would be nice too.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM

Las Cruces has great weather, a university, and a fairly good tax base with some government installations, but quite a drive to fishing. Truth or Consequences has Elephant Butte Lake, but is a very small town.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

aztec
Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Dont move here for the fishing. Why not sunbird in Patagonia, then sunbird in MT. Best of both worlds, endless summer.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM
FJ Cruiser

For retiring you need to pick a state that has no state taxes. Arizona seems to be the worst state for retirement, right up there with California and New York. Arizona summers suck, stick your head in an oven and see if you enjoy the heat. If you do, AZ is for you.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Last I knew, and it was a while back, Arizona had a generous exemption for retirees, even though they do have state tax. Texas has no income tax, but a brutal real estate tax and sales tax to make up for it.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
If MT, we plan to snowbird in winter, but now thinking we could buy a primary residence in the south and sunbird in the summer.
I'd say Taos, but it (and presumably the surrounding environs where you would likely trout fish) can get a bit nip in the winter. Fall, late spring, and particularly the summer (but, you wouldn't be there in the summer) are spectacular.

Really like Taos, stayed and fished near there at least a half a dozen times in the past four years. It's 6 1/2 hours from Ft. Bliss. (Whenever I get a four day weekend/break from training soldiers, I'm fishing somewhere near Taos or in the AZ White Mountains.) Taos may not be everyone's cup of tea, small, perhaps a little too eclectic/Dennis Hopper/counter-culturish/touristy to some, but I would move there in a heartbeat if I could. There's something really special about the New Mexico high-desert. Georgia O'Keeff knew a good thing when she saw it.

Last edited by BamaRon; 02-17-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo