Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Founding Member.

Hotspotting...

All in all Hot spotting is discouraged as it should be. However, there is a huge difference in telling someone on the net about some delicate stream and native brookies and posting pictures of a carp caught within city limits on a frigging golf course..

I fully support the need to curb hot spotting on delicate waters, but when we start getting comments like :

Quote:
those pics are showing too much of that spot, just my opinion
when people are posting pictures of fish caught within city limits I have to put my foot down.. This is ridiculous..

Discuss.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Hear hear!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM

+1 ridiculous
"I look into ... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long.'"

~by Allison Moir, "Love the Man, Love the Fly Rod", in A Different Angle: Fly Fishing Stories by Women~
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
My input here:

I have noticed this a lot about a group on this forum! What really makes me laugh is that people will get upset about a lot of ridiculous things. For example:

1)If I say I am going fishing this weekend for Rainbow/Brown/Cutthroat/Apache/Tiger/Golden Trout, and i'm hoping to KILL it people get upset. Even though we don't mean we are going to kill the fish!

2)If I post a name of a creek that I fished that holds trout, people get upset!

3)If I ask you where you fished! People get upset!

And lastly:
4)If I post a picture with a fish, and scenery of where I am fishing! People get upset!

There is a trend here. It looks to me like you can't do anything on this forum, that it was designed for, without upsetting someone. Now if someone said or did any of the above while referring to bluegill, bass, and until now carp no one would have said anything.

I am surprised that someone got upset about a carp spot however. Mostly it is trout, however it doesn't change the fact that it is within city limits, it is a body of water almost anybody can drive up to, park and fish. When I saw the post did I want to know where it was? **** ya, because I enjoy fishing for Carp. Did I ask on the thread, NOPE because that is hot spotting.

It feels like people are on here to brag, not to share stories or experiences. If they do share stories of their trips most of the time it is so convoluted and redacted it isn't even worth reading! Those people are the ones getting upset over something like this, because they feel if people pressure their public water within city limits they will no longer be able to brag about the fish they got out of that water.

I know I will probably be butchered for putting in my .02 however I have noticed this for a while and talked with others about it! Your not the only one that feels this a highly ridiculous!

+1 Mike, I support your claim 100%!

Last edited by CPTxKIRK; 10-30-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Trout Bum In Training

If you give up my super secret golf course spot again there will be **** to pay.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Rod Builder

I think some people are a little too paranoid about their hotspots. It's like they own it and are the only one who has ever fished it. I don't understand the big toot, the fish are usually released right back to it , and it ain't like their never going to be caught again. If you don't want someone to know about it don't mention it or the fish ya caught their. Problem solved
Old 10-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
I think some people are a little too paranoid about their hotspots. It's like they own it and are the only one who has ever fished it. I don't understand the big toot, the fish are usually released right back to it , and it ain't like their never going to be caught again. If you don't want someone to know about it don't mention it or the fish ya caught their. Problem solved
I agree with you but the argument is that fanatic fished it and posted a story and pics about his success!He didn't even say where it was and Someone else still got upset about him posting the pics because it showed too much scenery. If people don't want to see their spots show up on the web, the they have 2 options:

1)Don't be a part of a forum full of members who fish in/around the city you live in!

2)Dont fish waters in the city so you don't become protective of possible waters others can fish!

3)Even simpler......DONT FISH!

Pretty simple! Protect delicate waters, post away on urban waters.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 PM
The guppies fear me

And you were worried about smelling like breakfast around that dude?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM
The guppies fear me

PS - I'm going to have nightmares until at least Dec. 26th.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM

LOL I would say hotspotting a golf course is a little over board. But there are other reasons to keep a name to yourself other than bragging rights. First reason is to not make others mad lol by hotspotting there "secret spot". My fav place to fish is up on the rim. As my list go's so far there are 41 creeks and 23 Canyons that may or may not hold water with trout depending on if its a wet or dry year. Also depending on what time of year it is. I have fished and caught fish in a place to only find it dry 4 months later. Out of these creeks and canyons in my five or six years of fly fishing I have explored 17 and of these 17 I have only completely explored from top to bottom 2 of them. I am sorry if I offend with my next comment. But I don't do all of this exploring for anyone else but myself. I am sure someone at sometime has fished or walked down every path I have been on. Lets face it there is no "secret spot". But I put in the work and I don't feel obligated to share my work with the world. I do post pictures and brief info about the trip on the forum not to brag but to inspire. Tighten up them boots and hit the trail.