Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Saturday at the Orvis Shop

Last Saturday appeared to be a huge success at Eric's shop in Tucson. There was more info exchanged in one day than it seemed possible. Emerson's presentation was especially informative and well done. Thanks to Eric, Whitey, and all others who put this day on for the fishing community!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
I enjoyed the drive down Friday night even though I had 10 minutes to spare before my fly tying seminar that night at 7:00pm. The evening with everyone was perfect and causual. The 1-1/2 hour fly tying turned into a 4 hours. It was nice to see everyones take on their method of tying.
I had the best Saturday for not fly fishing and being in the city. The weather was perfect and everyone who was part of the days presentation did great. I was nice to see John and Cullen Murhpy talk about world guide services that were being provided and things they are working on to change and make and improve your stay. More creating a signature.
What was real interesting on the bass tying of Mike Leed, if you haven't seen him tie, you need to. I love the spinning process of deer hair and it will become some part of my dry fly pattern esp. terrestrials, the process of the weed guard, to be able to pull dries over stumps, stags, sound better and better.
Dave Browns take on Canadian fly fishing was cool, I will take up the opportunity to fish there one day but still a lot of water to cover state wise. Canada here I come, if I'm within striking distance.
I think the best part of day was just meeting the people who love to fly fish and the support level they gave to this shop and not just verbal. People who just wanting to be part of the day, getting up early to help set up. Bring coffee and breakfast for everyone. Cooking hot dogs all day and filling up your drinks during your visit with everyone. The amount of talk was just great. Lot of talk about friends, and families was good to hear thoughout the day.
Ohhh, it was good to meet Hutch from Orvis and all the rod he bought for fly casting demo, and was it a demo. Good casters were seen all day and new rods such as the switch rod being casted with no effort as distances of 50-70 with no effort, more of a pivot technique then arm motions, this rod is going to take off esp. with guides.
My presenation was just was it was, a take of a person who loves the White Mountains (Apache Nation) and lakes and how I feel about this sport. The effect on me as a person, my relationship with all and everything that makes this world what it is. My need to be close to waters every weekend and of course my ditication to the trout species.
I would like to thank all who were there, it will be great to see you this spring, summer, and late Fall and for all my years to come. We all know why we fly fish and its just not catching fish.....but its nice to C&R fish.....

Take care, CHIEF

Last edited by CHIEF; 03-22-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Chief,

Thanks so much for the 4 hours of tying Friday evening..... I'm certainly going to use all that I can remember? ha.. You held nothing back, and thanks again for your effort of sharing with the Tucson guys and ladies... Hope to make contact with you this spring and summer in the high country...

Thanks again,
Coach
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
all about the Truchas

That was a saturday well spent. I was there for chiefs 2nd presentation, and much of the info was really valuble, the type of info you can only share if you are face to face. Being able to take a look at chiefs selection of flies was great too. I was glad to come support the shop, talk to emerson, improve my cast, and try some great rods. Too bad I didn't walk away with the raffled hydros rod.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
CHIEF

The Hydros is in good hands and will be used every weekend from this day forward, it will not miss water time and it will be put to test on any and all conditions because the Hydros can now call my home its home.....

CHIEF

Last edited by CHIEF; 03-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Send a message via AIM to Charlie
Chief, I just wanted to say it was nice meeting you on Saturday I enjoyed your talk about the White Mountain Fly Fishing, and overall it was a really fun day..

Charlie

Trout Unlimited Endorsed Guide
AZ Licensed Fishing Guide
http://www.azfishguide.com/wordpress/
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
CHIEF

Charlie,

When you come up give me a call and let fish..................

CHIEF
Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 AM
aka Alex Landeen

Chief TOTALLY called winning that hydros... and I believe it's a fact that it will get more water time with him than anyone else who attended the event. Congrats again.

I agree that for a day of non-fishing activity it was the next best thing... ****, I would probably rather do that again than drive all the way somewhere and get skunked, but then again I am still a little sore at Arivaca for not releasing any bass booty last weekend. When Mr. Leed and I go back next week, it's SO payback time!

There is sort of a recap on FGFF, if you folks are so inclined.

Last edited by Alex Landeen; 03-23-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 AM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Send a message via AIM to Charlie
Chief,

I have your card and will call you next month when I plan to come up!

Thanks

Charlie

Trout Unlimited Endorsed Guide
AZ Licensed Fishing Guide
http://www.azfishguide.com/wordpress/