Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Catch & Release

Clifton, AZ

I sold and delivered a Bobcat Track Loader (Pictured in my Avatar) to Clifton today and I must say that is one awesome town. I crossed over the San Francisco River and was wondering what species of fish live in there. Im sure I will be making trips there in the future to deliver more equipment and was wondering if the fishing is good. If so I might consider a night stay and a little hiking. Is it a fishable stretch?

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM

San Francisco

I returned from the Whites today and it appeared that the San Francisco was bone dry.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
I returned from the Whites today and it appeared that the San Francisco was bone dry.
Well where were you. The San Fran River above Luna Lake is a very small stream and after Luna Lake it is usually running strong. Dont know what you are talking about but I may be mistaken. The River near clifton probaly contains some native suckers and maybe bass, catfish. Not sure.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM

The San Francisco River runs along Hwy 180 south from Luna, NM through Alma and Glenwood and is often dry for long stretches most of the year.

Whitewater Creek flows into the river at Glenwood and , being springfed, always provides water for a few smallmouth and trout, lots of suckers. Some hot springs below Glenwood probably warm the water, but it is good and cool south of town - even though marginal for fishing.I don't know the water quality by Clifton but local folks have told me there are catfish down there.

Lower Eagle Creek is reputed to be good for smallmouth, but a bit of a haul from Clifton over a rough road.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Catch & Release

So what the **** flows thru Clifton?????
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM

near clifton is the San Francisco river which does contain catfish and bass for sure.

Aztightlines. Does it really run dry after luna lake. Above the lake how is the san fran river running. I got an email from the azgfd and he said it the san fran river in upper reaches contains trout
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
tramp ala trout

lots of bears.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM

I am not sure what the AZGFD us saying about the upper San Francisco, but they are probably referring to the canyon between Luna Lake and Luna, NM. There is usually water in that stretch, coming out fo the lake, but it is sporadic, from what I have seen. There is a pipe that runs along the highway that seems to carry water down to Luna, NM and the creek - that's all it is - can be seen from the road. There are some pullouts along the way, I have stopped to look at the creek, but have not fished it.

Like a lot of rivers in the southwest, the San Francisco runs underground and emerges in various spots at different seasons. It is usually dry for most of the way from Glenwood, NM to Luna, NM. I once fished some private section in a box canyon, fed by springs, but it was pretty marginal trout water. That is the San Francisco by Clifton, meanders along for many miles between the highway in NM and Morenci/Clifton - I have heard kayakers use it. Jeepster on this board said some offroading group went along the dirt road, and we wondered if it held any fish - but don't know.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to KRD
clifton/morenci is the san fran. river. Not sure on the bass as stated, as the catfish are popular in the town. Fished it once back in 2001. people around town only told me of flathead, never caught anything but did see of catfish bones on the bank.