Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Earl Park or Canero?

I have 4 days off. June 6-9. Thinking of going to the White Mts. how are Canero and Earl Park fishing. Is there a better choice?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Apprentice Rod Holder

It's Hard To Say

Maybe it's just the inconsitency of the fishing game, but lately here in the White Mts. I've found fishing to be surprisingly slow. (see report on the Becker fishing contest). We've been getting daily storms for nearly two weeks now, and the fishing has been quite disappointing. I've been fishing Carnero, Horseshoe, and Becker. I usually catch one or two, but have been expecting to do a lot better. I believe it is the unsettled weather. Maybe someone has been slaying them somewhere and they will post. If they do, I'll be as interested as you if that is the case. The good news- I hope- is that the 10 day forecast says that Sunday is the last chance for moisture for a while, and I'm thinking that the fishing will turn around. This may mean that your planned visit up here may be well timed. Let's hope so.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Earl Park, east side, 9 foot, anchor.....average fish per day 8-12 fish and if your lucky you will land or at least hook for a second or two into one of those nice browns, he will break you off though, to many stump at his home.....

CHIEF
Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 AM

In the words of Radio when he was asked if he wanted apple or blueberry pie; "Both".

Fished Carnero yesterday. Although it was fishing slow for flies so we switched to spinners. Slow midday but by 3pm was getting about ten hookups per hour. Also was a fair amount of dry activity. Fish were running 14 to 17 inches and getting fat.

Did best at upper end. We had two mortalitiies from the spinners so I opened them up. Chock full of damsel flies. I had used a smaller damsel fly nymph but it was too small. These flies are about an inch long. I saw some spawning activiity in the shallows (not that it will do any good but fun to see none the less) and one of the fish had ripe eggs. Someone may want to try an egg pattern also.

People I talked to said it was better early and we did well late but slow during midday.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Carnero

I fished Carnero Friday and Saturday......in between the rain, hail, and wind! Only managed a very few fish, but they were big and healthy. No one fly seemed to be the answer....even caught a 15" rainbow on a hopper!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
I will be fishing Carnero on Friday 6/5/2009 just to see how correct all this information is on size, numbers, and patterns from past fisherman. With pass information it will be interesting to see if old lake information is still good.

CHIEF
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Chief, I have fished Canero alot this year with very good success 30-40 in 1/2days fishing ranging 14-16". I will be up the hill this weekend call me.

Brandon
Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Apprentice Rod Holder

Change In Forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
The good news- I hope- is that the 10 day forecast says that Sunday is the last chance for moisture for a while, and I'm thinking that the fishing will turn around. This may mean that your planned visit up here may be well timed. Let's hope so.
Good news-Bad news: Tonight the 10 day forecast is showing a continuation of unsettled weather. "Tues thru Sunday"- is only showing 2 days with 0% chance of moisture. The highest chance is 30% chance on Friday. I guess the good news is that this is still an improvement on the past 2 weeks.