Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Convert

I gotta chime in with my opinion.....

I think most of us like to post when we've been successful or had a good trip. Conversley we like to read about others success, see thier photos, and maybe learn a bit about what lake, creek, etc is fishing well. Or maybe we can learn about a new place if we are lucky.

BUT.... I think it is a double edged sword and can have a negative impact.

Here are 2 personal examples that have made me look at things very differently.

Example 1: Crescent Lake
Mid summer I saw some posts about the quality of fish coming from Crescent. I mentioned it to my father who is just getting into fly fishing and DOES NOT catch and release very often. He has probably made 4 trips there over the past few months and kept (for the grill) dozens of 18 - 20" bows.

Attachment 1625

How many times, under similar circumstances is this scenario played out?

Example 2: Black River
I was pretty excited about catching a couple real nice browns at TOD.
Attachment 1626

I emailed my mom a photo(who likes to fish and know how I did). Not more than 2 weeks later I see a photo on facebook of my cousin, who DOES NOT catch and release, with 2 very nice browns on a stringer from TOD. He pumped my mom for info she didnt know I wanted to keep it quiet.

I am not sure what the answer is for everyone but for me I will be a little more selective in posting after seeing what just a few posts & comments can do to a fishery.

Last edited by BlkRvr; 06-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 PM

Everyone read this post

This $hit actually happens!!! Post a report and pics about a fragile fishery with limited numbers of quality fish and bad things can happen!!! I learned my lesson years ago, its not worth seeing my ugly mug on the internet holding a big fish...

THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats Man View Post
This $hit actually happens!!! Post a report and pics about a fragile fishery with limited numbers of quality fish and bad things can happen!!! I learned my lesson years ago, its not worth seeing my ugly mug on the internet holding a big fish...

THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.

And I agree, 100%.

I dont post pics or reports of delicate fisheries. I keep that info to myself. Now, I have no problem posting up pics and or detailed reports from urban waters or places like Big Lake, etc..
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
The guppies fear me

I think the distinction was made that most urban ponds are far from "fragile fisheries". That said, it is an emotionally charged issue. One that I've been pretty insensitive about. I met a few new potential fishing buddies over the weekend that gave some more moderate feedback leaning to the more secretive side of things, and it opened my eyes a little.

Long story short, I'll try to keep my emotionally charged, snarky comments out of it, because it gets hard to not let some of the forum drama spill over into real life. I may disagree with Nelly on this one, but I think he's actually handled himself well in the conversation, and I'd like to be able to fish with him some day rather than brew up bad feelings here and lose that opportunity.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Rev View Post
I think the distinction was made that most urban ponds are far from "fragile fisheries". That said, it is an emotionally charged issue. One that I've been pretty insensitive about. I met a few new potential fishing buddies over the weekend that gave some more moderate feedback leaning to the more secretive side of things, and it opened my eyes a little.

Long story short, I'll try to keep my emotionally charged, snarky comments out of it, because it gets hard to not let some of the forum drama spill over into real life. I may disagree with Nelly on this one, but I think he's actually handled himself well in the conversation, and I'd like to be able to fish with him some day rather than brew up bad feelings here and lose that opportunity.
Dont let that happen. Nelly is a great guy and a very enthusiastic fly fisherman..
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkRvr View Post
I gotta chime in with my opinion.....

I think most of us like to post when we've been successful or had a good trip. Conversley we like to read about others success, see thier photos, and maybe learn a bit about what lake, creek, etc is fishing well. Or maybe we can learn about a new place if we are lucky.

BUT.... I think it is a double edged sword and can have a negative impact.

Here are 2 personal examples that have made me look at things very differently.

Example 1: Crescent Lake
Mid summer I saw some posts about the quality of fish coming from Crescent. I mentioned it to my father who is just getting into fly fishing and DOES NOT catch and release very often. He has probably made 4 trips there over the past few months and kept (for the grill) dozens of 18 - 20" bows.

Attachment 1625

How many times, under similar circumstances is this scenario played out?

Example 2: Black River
I was pretty excited about catching a couple real nice browns at TOD.
Attachment 1626
It stings, but that is what it is. I believe that the majority of those fishing catch and keep and that is fine. That is their right as long as it was caught and kept legally.

I can live with that.

You ( and I ) as a catch and release angler(s) have to decide on whether or not to share a report and take that risk, or keep it to ourselves..

Being it is Cresent and that lake is no secret... Well, yea it it wasnt him eating them it would have been someone else..
Old 10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
I dont post pics or reports of delicate fisheries. I keep that info to myself. Now, I have no problem posting up pics and or detailed reports from urban waters or places like Big Lake, etc..
I hear ya....

Ya know its kinda funny. I really dont care if you post about any urban waters. Not because they can handle the pressure, but because I havnt and dont plan to fish them. But with that said, I think there are many here that feel like some of these urban's are thier honeyholes and hate to see them get more attention.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkRvr View Post
I hear ya....

Ya know its kinda funny. I really dont care if you post about any urban waters. Not because they can handle the pressure, but because I havnt and dont plan to fish them. But with that said, I think there are many here that feel like some of these urban's are thier honeyholes and hate to see them get more attention.
You are right and I get that.. But in all seriousness, if you can spot water from the freeway, dont expect it to be a secret.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Any state lakes or well known stream is not off limits for posting fish or telling how the fishing is. The main thing is to let others now the great times to be had with family and friends and catching fish is what it is all about. I never really matter to me where someones hot spots, I had shared many good spots and fish them with the ones who use them now. They still don't have the catch ratio to someone who fishes all year long and know the shades they love to hit. Any way have a good time where ever you fish and how ever you tell or take pictures, just have a good time.

CHIEF
Old 10-31-2011, 05:33 PM

What is TOD on the Black River??

Not sure what this means, but am very curious as I'm sure others are. thanks.