Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blur View Post

from l-r...

tiemcos - these are my favorite and go to scissors. fit very comfortably in my fingers. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

dr slick razor scissors - very sharp w/ adjustable tension. as good as the tmcs but not as comfy in hand. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

anvils - nice scissors. I reserve these for deer hair and the like and wire at the bottom end. always on the bench as are the preceding two. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

dr. slick arrow points - usually carried w/ fishing tackle in the field. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

dr slick carbide tungsten - very sharp very brittle. dropped on tile floor and one tip snapped. these have been relegated to rod building and general shop use. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

backcountry labs ss allpoint scissors 1" curved blade - these are in my travel kit. nearly new condition. purchased at a fly shop which no longer exists.

So basically you are saying that you buying a pair of scissors in a fly shop is the kiss of death them.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Flying Monkey

!ouch!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
So basically you are saying that you buying a pair of scissors in a fly shop is the kiss of death them.
if you need to blame someone else, may as well blame me.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Flying Monkey

what does desert Sportsman carry??????. anybody?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthefrog View Post

Not sure, but if I would think they have Dr. Slick
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I bought a pair of Dr Slicks at Desert Sportsman. They have a couple of different sizes/styles if i remember. I got a pair that have a pretty cool looking "heat blued" finish. I really like them so far.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Flying Monkey

DS does ironically carry Dr Slick (DS) in several types and sizes. can't wait for Monday cause its close to the doctor's office where they're going to Frankenstein test me with a Nicolai Tesla super deluxe nerve sublimation orgasmatron.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Fliegenbinder

Gimmee Meter Alert

Quote:
Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so much better that the last few nights I was able to put my daughter to bed and read stories for the first time in three weeks.
Where are you going to buy your tools?
Check out surgical instrument supply sources for factory seconds/student quality items. May open up a whole new world of possibilities and ideas; will likely be too much fun. The video magnifying spectacles with zoom normally for micro surgeries (transmitting like Bluetooth and saves what you see) have captured my gimmee meter of late.

Catching and Releasing fisherfolk for 40+yrs!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM

I've got some dr. slicks, a pair of no names from pakistan and a pair of anvils like shlitz posted above. The anvils are my go to for tying, they fit my hand comfortably enough, but I haven't tried many to compare them to. I use the cheap pakis for cutting wire and other scissors ruining materials and I don'e much care for either of the dr. slicks I have. Also, Anvil scissors are made in America which weighs heavily on my decision whether or not to purchase something. They came from BPS.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
DS does ironically carry Dr Slick (DS) in several types and sizes. can't wait for Monday cause its close to the doctor's office where they're going to Frankenstein test me with a Nicolai Tesla super deluxe nerve sublimation orgasmatron.
Dude, let me know how that machine is. I didn't know Tesla was the inventor of the orgasmatron. I just thought it was a clever title for a Motorhead song...

Tags
cutters, scissors, snip snip, sweeney toddthefrog, vas deferense