Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Silver creek

Has anybody been to silver creek since it opened to c and r the first?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM

A bunch of Project Healing Waters folks were there for the Oct 1 opening and on Oct 10,11 and 12 fishing the upper section, A very large number Apache Trout were dumped in upper section, and have made their way to the lower section. Saw the usual numbers of large rainbow caught, but lots more Apaches than usual. The bite was very subtle.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm85023 View Post
A bunch of Project Healing Waters folks were there for the Oct 1 opening and on Oct 10,11 and 12 fishing the upper section, A very large number Apache Trout were dumped in upper section, and have made their way to the lower section. Saw the usual numbers of large rainbow caught, but lots more Apaches than usual. The bite was very subtle.
thanks herm! hoping to fish silver creek for the first time this monday, weather permitting.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Elegant Duffer

Just got back from fishing SC. Haven’t fished the C&R season in 7-8 years. Got there a bit after noon...overcast the whole time. Had my two young sons with me. Nice people there trying to help me...thanks to any of you if you were one of them!

My sons don’t know how to cast with a fly rod yet, so I set them both up with an egg pattern about 24” under a thingamabobber strike indicator...a suggestion from a very pleasant and helpful pipe-smoking angler. The take is slight. Lots of bites...even saw some of takes on the fly itself, but couldn’t set the hook and the boys got tired of it. They’re only 9 and 4 and they’re used to bait fishing for trout. Got a good hit on a peacock lady, but I was too slow.

Got a few tips from another gracious angler and headed upstream. The boys let me fly fish while they hunted critters. Caught one rainbow about 17” and a bunch of Apache...ten or so. Most of them were 10-12”, but one went 15” or better. I didn’t have a measure, but either way it was my PB Apache. I didn’t take any pictures. I was too anxious to get them all back in the water safely and by the time I thought about pictures, my hands were wet.

Tons of Apache in there. I hooked two just reeling in to swap flies. Lots of big bows. Nice people...even the guys fishing the same pool were trying to put me on fish. Great day.

-SON