Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 AM

My name is Alex. I am a 2nd generation Arizonan. I've been married 15 years and am a father of two. I work as a fire captain for the City of Phoenix and have done so for 19 years. Seven more years and we plan on moving to a location where there is a lot more trout waters, Montana, Idaho etc.. I took up fly fishing 9 years ago and now my two brothers and many friends have done so also. I love small stream fishing in hike-in waters fishing for cutthroat. Our favorite waters are in Utah. Current Creek, Strawberry. Deschesne, Uinta River, Sevier, Logan, and naturally flaming gorge. I lucked out this year and found an Alumaweld drift boat whose owner lived in a very run-down trailer court in the worst part of town. $ 600 bucks including the trailer. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometime.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:43 AM

First off, Don Miguel, thanks for the site.

Me, AJ Cadena...born in Queens, NY during the sixties. With a love for the outdoors dating back before I can remember.

Picked up the 'stick' in '86, and have never looked back. I've been fortunate to have fish some very cool places. Arizona being one of them!!

Not married, no kids (****, I'm still a kid myself)....a fantastic girlfried though; brains and looks.

Currently helping my brother with his Atlanta based start-up; keeping my ears to the rail though for another gig in international.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Former Member

Rusty Topping, 45, born on the East Coast and grew up in Baltimore. I fished some there and messed around with a fly tying kit as a kid. I moved to Florida in '78 to go to school and stayed for 15 years - slow learner. I did a lot of off-shore fishing there. Been married 21 years, two kids 12 (son) and 14 (daughter). Been an Arizonan since '93. I did not fish out here until about 4 years ago. My fishing buddy from college happened to move out here and we hit Lees Ferry once and that was all it took. It is amazing how addictive flyfishing can be. I still have my original fly tying kit and use the vise for all of my flies.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrentP
Hey guys, just found the web page. It looks like a GREAT site. Seldomseen, are you the one running the webpage? IF so, good job.

My name is Brent, I ocasionally post on AZOD as trophy hunter and I am almost always logged on to AZbasszone.com another great weppage if you dont know about it.

I am 17 and was born here in AZ. I typicly fish one or two times a week at local ponds around the vally. About once or twice a month I can get out of the vally and fish one of the salt river lakes for bass, or head up to the mountains for some trout fishing.

I look forward to getting to know everyone
Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
aka twelvepoundlunker

Hello to all!

My name is Ken. I was born and raised in wisconsin. Moved to AZ 20 years ago. I've fished all of my life but just about 7 years ago I became a flyfishing junkie. I have not touch a spinning rod since.

I'm 35 years old, been married 8 years and we just had our first child 18 months ago. He's put a crimp in my fishing lately but it will be well worth it down the road when I can get him out fishing.

I own a health food store in chandler. Make sure to take your vitamins. I enjoy fishing all types of waters, but I have a soft spot for high alpine lakes(boulder mountains in utah). Hope to see you on the water.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Founding Member.

Mike H. Born in the San Francisco Bay area in Dec 63. Graduated HS in 82 and went right into the Army. Forced medical retirement some yrs later. Been fishing the long rod for most of my life.

Long road trips with Seldom gives me gas.

Moved here from Utah 2 yrs ago and miss the fishing in Ut but nothing else. The state as a whole blows.

In moving here I have met some great guys and finally some people that enjoy drinking as much as I do.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Hello Guys! What a killer site. Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry it's taken so long to jump on board. Really busy with work and ski trips. Zach Forman, 25, U of A grad, investment banker/developer, AZ native, not married, two Boxers Ginger and Riley (my kids), saltwater fanatic (flyfishing, scuba, free diving, etc), live in north Scottsdale, love to fish the Whites, the Ferry (used to work up there in college), and enjoy snowboarding almost as much as fly fishing (powder nut!) Best accomplishment: going 3 for 4 in Costa Rica for sailfish on billfish poppers I tied (jumped in the water afterwards to watch them swim away) By far one of the most memorable experiences of my life! I have made some cool friends on the AZOD board and hope to meet a few more here! Take care all thanks for all of the great posts!

My best,

Zach
Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 AM

One of the Old Farts tuning in......born in Denver a gazillion years ago, grew up, got eddyujakaeted, ended up working on 6 Continents (lived on 4), retired in '91, re-retired in '96 and then finally retired in '98, took up fly fishing after 3rd retirement. Through the AFC I learned to tie flys, build rods and construct laminated wood landing nets. Spend a great deal of time in a local hospital and a local school with my Therapy Dog, Lancaster dealing with (primarily) Oncology children and/or mentally/physically disadvantaged kids. Speak a couple of languages fluently and can navigate in a few more. Hope to see you guys/gals out on the streams soon.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 PM

I am...

Hello all,
I am an emergency medicine doc;hence the name... I am from Boston originally, born in '63 and fished for everything you can in New England (even eel gigging!). Came to AZ in 1993 to work at Maricopa Medical Center("County") and have been at Mayo in the ED for the last 6 years. Took up fly fishing about 4 years ago as a way to reduce stress and they seemed to be catching all the fish when I am camping up on the Rim. My wife, Dee, is from Mt. Shasta, CA and a big-time camper. My best gift to her(besides the diamond) was a Coleman camp kitchen. I have 2 boys, age 3 & 5 and I want them outside & away from an Xbox as they get older. I am new to fly fishing but not above spin casting. I am amazed at how every body of water has to be fished differently- so much to learn! I haven't even started to tie my own. My other hobby is autoracing medicine. I have been a track doc at Phoenix International Raceway since 94, worked the Indy 500 since 92, even did consulting for NASCAR and now I am the medical director at PIR. If any of you get to the races, come to the infield med center & say "Hi". Better yet, say "Hi" on the stream, river or lake. This is a great venue for info about fly-fishing & I really appreciate all the assistance I have already received! And "No" I don't mind a medical question as long as I can ask one about fishing!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Iluvmyfly
Tony Pugliano
Born March 29 1984
Lived in Flag all my life
Started this fishing buisness when I was ten, but fished almost everyday when I turned 16. Been guiding on the Creek three summers now. I am set to graduate this may with a degree in Hotel Restaurant management from NAU.

I live to fish and fish to live.

P.S. Paul check out my profile pic. That is a cutt from that river by you we talked about.

Last edited by Iluvmyfly; 03-13-2006 at 11:13 PM.