View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Bucksnort,

A funny story about my last trip to the Escanaba in Michigan. I was with an old "Yooper" friend fishing the river and he's old school. You bring what you need, period. The operative word is "you". I only brought about 3 big night crawlers (the standard big brown bait - these things run 10" long or so) and ran out of those in 10 minutes. Those Browns are pretty smart at picking the worm off the hook. I was screwed though. I knew he'd give me a night crawler or two but begrudgingly....

I was really frustrated and sat down on the bank watching my friend catch the fish. I looked down the bank and saw these orange-ish crawfish. They were molting and had a ripe smell to them. Their soft shells had not hardened and took on an orange color. I thought, oh, what the heck. I hooked one on and not 2 seconds after it hit the water a big brown came up and smashed that crawfish.

I quickly got to the bank and collected about 6 or 7 more. Six more fish! Not little strikes. I mean big bad smash strikes on those molting crawlers. Anway, he came over to me and asked what the heck I was using. I showed him my last crawfish and gave it to him. He put it on and smash!

He looked at me and said, "I've been fishing this river for 40 years and have never had that happen". He said, "I'm lucky if I come home with two or three big fish and you caught, how many?" "Seven", I said. "But I threw all but two back", since two was the limit back then. He frowned at me for throwing them back. This is how he feeds his family....that and deer he shoots during season.

The drive back to his house was fun for a change. It was the first time I out-fished him. He couldn't get over how the browns smashed the crawfish. He just shook his head and laughed. I knew what he was thinking. He was thinking why didn't he think of that 40 years ago! He did call me a few months later and said he figured out that the mature crawfish didn't get many strikes. It was the soft meaty molting ones they liked.

It just goes to show that expanding ones imagination when it comes to fishing and trying something new can pay off big time. I know this is a dedicated fly fishing site, and I do love to fly fish, but thought I'd share that. Missing Arizona bad but forget about it when I'm fly fishing in my old stomping ground the Great Smoky Mountains.
.`. ><(((((>

Last edited by DrLogik; 07-06-2018 at 02:12 PM.