View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 PM

I'm right-handed but can cast equally well righty or lefty. It didn't used to be that way. The short story is I trained myself to cast lefty...all the time. Why? Because I was frustrated I couldn't cast effectively to difficult fish as a righty only.

What I instinctively found was I could focus on spots that I could cast to, that years ago I couldn't. Because of that, I then opened my mind to all places I "could" cast and then I started seeing things differently.

For example, fishing upstream on the right hand side of the stream there is a tree over-hanging with branches above and in the water and hanging over the shore also. For a righty, if a fish is in the middle of that tangle, it's a really hard cast because you generally have to back-hand cast because/and all of the branches will be in the way.

For a lefty, only the branches over the water are in the way and the lefty can cast normally or sidearm. I figured this out one day because I would 9 times out of 10 prefer to fish the left bank of a stream and I found myself fishing the right bank of the stream also.

How'd I train myself? I cast my rod every day, every day, for at least 30 minutes rain or shine for a year. If on a day it wasn't working, I quit so I wouldn't develop bad muscle memory. A great instructor told me to do that btw.
.`. ><(((((>

Last edited by DrLogik; 01-16-2020 at 08:44 PM.