Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Dream Stream and Trout Unlimited (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15645)

Bucksnort 09-11-2017 03:55 PM

The Dream Stream and Trout Unlimited

For those of you who make trips to the Dream Stream and who adore the location, let me tell you how close all of us came to never being able to easily access the two parking areas above the gauging station.

As you know, there is a parking area across the road from the gauging station. This gives you good access to the river below the station. If you continue south on the road from the station and in about one quarter of a mile, you turn right or west, to access the two parking areas above the station.

Thanks to Trout Unlimited (this happened maybe ten years or so ago), anglers can drive to the two upper parking areas on this road without crossing private land. Apparently, there was a small section of private land that intersected this road where you see the old abandoned wood building just after you drive over the cattle guard. Had the landowner made the decision to not allow anyone to pass through his land, access to the river would have been by way of a very long walk. I don't know if his land would have prevented walking the river above the station.

TU purchased this land and donated it to the state of Colorado. I apologize but I am not an attorney and I don't play one on television so I can't give you the legal term to describe what TU did but it ensures no one can ever block access. Perhaps someone knows more about this and can shed some light on it.

Newby 09-12-2017 10:16 AM

I don't agree with everything TU does, but there is no doubt they make a major impact when it comes to public access and restoring waterways. I now live just two hours away from the Dream Stream and am looking forward to hitting it this fall.

AZ FISHING GUIDES 09-12-2017 01:55 PM

I believe this is called a conservation easement. Very cool.

Bucksnort 09-12-2017 07:03 PM

AZ Guides,

That sounds about right. I don't know how far the private land extended across the road to the north but if it did go a good distance, everyone would be walking over Spinney Mountain, which is the big bump in the ground to the north of the river or parking at the reservoir and walking down from the dam.

I do know there is a federal law prohibiting landowners from blocking access to public land. I don't recall if the land between the two reservoirs is BLM or the Pike National Forest or if it belongs to the Denver Water Board or the city of Aurora. Denver Water owns Elevenmile Resv and Aurora owns Spinney Resv.

For those of you who don't know, the S. Platte River between Spinney Res and Elevenmile Res is the Dream Stream. I think there are about three or four miles (not as the crow flies but as the angler walks) of river between the reservoirs. It is mostly flat meandering oxbow type of water except for a few natural deep runs and some pocket water created by TU when they began placing huge boulders in the river above the gauging station. During spring and fall spawning, this isn't three weight fly rod water. If you are ever driving in South Park on U.S. Highway 24 and you have some time, be sure to hit the river. I don't think Colorado Parks and Wildlife has stocked the river in a long long time. You can fish it without waders, usually.

I do know the cattle that wandered around the Dream Stream and creating problems with destroying river banks have not been there for a long time. TU may have had something to do with this.

AZ FISHING GUIDES 09-13-2017 05:59 AM

I have fished the Dream Stream and I agree with you- Fall can be awesome!

Bucksnort 09-13-2017 10:19 AM

Here is a quick story about a Dream Stream (it's a river) monster rainbow.

Many years ago, I parked at the gauging station lot. This is the only time I ever fished below the station. I looked downstream about a quarter mile and could see several people gathered along the river bank. My curiosity got the best of me so I joined the crowd. They were watching an angler being dragged up and down the river a few yards each direction by a very large rainbow of perhaps eight to ten pounds in size. The fish was too large for his net. Each time he got the fish's nose up, he would place his net under the fish to net it and as soon as the fish felt the net, it would slowly dive and drag the angler up or down stream.

An angler on the bank had one of those nets with a large basket and a long handle. He volunteered to net the fish for the guy but the guy refused saying, "no, if anyone is losing this fish, it will be me", which he eventually did. I'm guessing it was because of abrasion on the tippet at the hook.