Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Verde River below Bartlett (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15604)

jimc 08-01-2017 11:41 AM

Verde River below Bartlett

I was driving home from another peaceful, but unsuccessful fly fishing expedition on the Lower Salt River the other day (the stocked trout have found shelter beyond my reach) and thought to myself that there has to be another fishable stream in the area that does not require a trip thru Payson.

So as I perused the geography of Central Arizona, I noticed that Bartlett Dam lets out north of the reservation. Check the flow monitors (150+cfs) and depth gauge (1.5ft) I thought this may be a possibility.

Just curious if this is a fishable stream? And curious if the water is cool enough to hold trout? I don't need locations or pointers. Just a simple "yes" or "no".

Thanks, in advance!

Old Bull 08-01-2017 11:47 AM

Nope. Catfish, bass, sunfish, carp but nothing in great numbers.

jimc 08-01-2017 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info.

MeLikeFlyFish-FlyFishGood 08-01-2017 11:06 PM

No trout

KellyC 08-02-2017 01:44 PM

It's pretty ugly water, very muddy, and the bottom is as slick as snot. There is also a ton of litter and broken glass all along the vehicle accessible areas. It seems like a lot of the people who recreate down there just don't give a rip about trashing the place.

jimc 08-18-2017 08:52 AM

So, I ignored your advice....

Well, I haven't had the time to make it up above the rim lately.
So, I ignored your advice, kind of.....
I went thru Tonto Verde and checked out the Verde River access at BOX BAR.
The water looked good and the river valley is nice and cool, but ZERO trout.
I had some success chasing bass on dries and streamers.
I actually thought it was a nice option, since they have stopped stocking the trout in the Central Areas of the state for the rest of the summer.

Native34 08-29-2017 10:44 AM

Went to needle rock the other day caught one LM on a popper before the horse flys chased me off

jimc 09-12-2017 11:00 AM

Bartlett Dam...

Took the trip to Bartlett Lake and went below the dam.
Was not prepared for the amount of time it took to get there AND the amount of walking required once I was there.

Plenty of evidence that the Neanderthal's visit on the weekends with their overabundance of of ATV's and and their shortage of trash bags...

I was surprised that this water is not stocked with trout in the winter.
Water temps, flow and structure seems consistent with good trout water
Are the flows too low in the fall and winter?

Obviously, I would do better to make it up the Rim if I am going to spend that much time on the road. But, what am I missing?