Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Mexico Gila Trout (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=16032)

aztightlines 07-03-2019 09:32 PM

What is a "Tucsonian"..and how would one delete another's angler's post, unless they were a moderator?

joe 07-03-2019 09:44 PM

People who live 120 miles S. by SE of Phoenixians are Tucsonians.

Yes, he was the moderator and still is.

Seldomseen 07-04-2019 04:56 AM

Rod - I believe both Tucsonian is a valid term as is Arizonian along with Arizonan.

And Joe must be talking about the AZ Fly Fishing group on Facebook which I was run off of (*) for being a "Communist from California" among other things which is odd considering I am originally from Tucson, whatever you call a person from that place. ;)

(*) - I was NOT run off by the moderators.

SJDrifli 07-04-2019 07:02 AM

I believe it is Tucsonan

Seldomseen 07-04-2019 07:11 AM

I have seen this argument a number of times over the years. Tucsonian is more commonly used as an adjective, but is not incorrect as a noun. Tucsonan is more commonly used as a noun. At least that is the best I have been able to make of it over the years. Same/Same with Arizonian/Arizonan.

ETA - My grandfather graduated from Tucson HS in 1937. The name of the yearbook is "The Tucsonian" and my grandparents called themselves "Tucsonians". That said, that version of the noun seems to have fallen out of favor over the past 50 years. Or maybe it is a Southside thing? #missionmanor #midvale #sanxavierdelbac

Now back to them GUY-la troot.....

aztightlines 07-04-2019 08:57 AM

I just left - voluntarily - the Facebook group "520 Bass Masters" with full disclosure: I was only there to report to a flyfishing friend on the possibilities of weekend "tournaments" with up to 30 boats at Arivaca Lake..so he could avoid the lake on those days.

They posted photos of "ninja fishing" on local golf course ponds..then whined about reports the Game&Fish were about to set up stings to catch them. Pretty humorous to me, as I secretly approve of the poaching/trespassing raids on the aforementioned ponds...but not the huge number of boats on a 90 acre public lake.

Getting back to "Tucsonans" vs "Tucsonians"... the latter does not sound right to me, as I have never heard that term applied locally. I don't get to tell folks in my former hometown, as someone who left about 50 years ago never to return other than visits, what to call themselves. Woodstockians, or Woodstockans doesn't quite ring as true as a Woodstocker..which I am not any more.

Seldomseen 07-04-2019 09:59 AM

Sorry - I did not mean to offend. I was not trying to tell you what to call yourselves - all I was trying to say is that, maybe Joe was not entirely wrong.

FWIW - I use Tucsonan and Arizonan now, but I am holding on to PRESScutt.

joe 07-04-2019 10:33 AM

If Phoenixian is correct, then everything I say is correct.

SJDrifli 07-04-2019 12:01 PM

It is Prescutt and Tucsonan and Arizonan and Phoenician.

aztightlines 07-04-2019 05:18 PM

You can call it whatever you want, Mike..been told it's Preskitt...rhymes with biscuit