Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Planning on moving (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15886)

PaysonLazerLiner 08-04-2018 06:04 AM

Planning on moving

I have finally come to the conclusion that I need to relocate from Az to somewhere that has a lot of awesome fishing close by. My general area of interest is the Pacific Northwest but no place in particular at this point. Probably Montana, Idaho or Oregon but I'm open to almost anywhere up in that general direction. So I'm throwing this new mindset out there into the wind in hopes that some of you may have a suggestion for such an idyllic place. I have subscribed to numerous fishing magazines of the years that tout such places but there is nothing like personal experience. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hooty 08-04-2018 10:21 AM

Bend, Oregon (I own property there and hope to retire there).

joe 08-04-2018 01:00 PM

I was in Bend and the surrounding area, in late May, and would have to concur.

Seldomseen 08-04-2018 02:24 PM

Or Klamath Falls just to the south of there. Still not far to the Deschutes with the Umpqua and Rogue within range too. And then there is the dam removal going on, the re-watering of the Sycan Marsh and potential return of salmon.

Lots of less known wild redband streams just to the east, Pyramid to the south.

And right in front of you, Klamath Lake and the Williamson River.

huntmoore 08-04-2018 10:15 PM

I dig Idaho Falls and the surrounding area (Driggs, etc.). So. Much. Water...

Tying2Fly 08-05-2018 08:05 AM

I loved fishing Oregon when I was up there 1989 to 1997 near Portland area. Major salmon areas in many rivers and streams and trout fishing great too. I built a strip cedar canoe and hit many of the lakes around Mt. Hood. Went with Co-workers or friends that had decent boats to fish Columbia, Clackamas and Desutes which are great. It was while I was working up there that a co-worker got me sold on getting into fly fishing.

PaysonLazerLiner 08-05-2018 03:02 PM

These all sound like great places that I'm already looking into so major thanks to each of you for the suggestions. I neglected to mention that my DREAM spot would not only include great trout fishing (defined as having a reasonable chance of catching a 25+ inch fish) but also have runs of salmon and/or steelhead. Maybe something like Tying2Fly described. Don't have to have all of that but might as well dream big right? Also, I'm not much of a still water guy so I really prefer moving water. I should have put that all in the original post.
Thanks again for your willingness to share.

T Gunn 08-05-2018 06:36 PM

New Zealand...South Island

KellyC 08-06-2018 08:49 AM

Idaho Falls is great! You get lots of ID water and you're close to MT too.

lostdutchman 08-06-2018 03:32 PM

if you have plenty of money, and don't mind fishing crowds, OR is great.

portland and bend are the new San francisco, prepare to pay well over asking price if you are buying a house, and if you are renting, start putting in applications 4 months before you move ( i wish I was joking)