Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gila's... (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=16127)

david vaughn 04-14-2020 06:54 AM

Gila's...

The following article appeared in today's (Apr 14) Payson Roundup, describing the recent addition of Gila Trout in the East Verde River upstream from Payson.

While most are already aware and have released their fair share of Gila's in this drainage, most might not be aware that these fish will have reproductive properties. That in itself will make this fishery a premier destination along with the wild rainbows scattered throughout this same thin blue line.

Enjoy the article!

https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/l...a63e00fea.html

joe 04-14-2020 10:04 AM

Keep in mind that the European brown trout did not survive in the EVR below the C&R area. Rainbow trout are reproducing in the C&R area. If the Gilas can reproduce below the C&R area that would be fine with me.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020

The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction, the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

Forgetful 04-14-2020 07:24 PM

Oh that's cool, anyone have a secret idea (PM) of the areas they live? E Verde is a big place.

david vaughn 04-15-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe (Post 173711)
Keep in mind that the European brown trout did not survive in the EVR below the C&R area. Rainbow trout are reproducing in the C&R area. If the Gilas can reproduce below the C&R area that would be fine with me.

Browns in the East Verde? Very cool! Do you happen to know when they were introduced? I've been fishing the East Verde for some time and this is the first I've heard of them being there.

I knew of the wild rainbows upstream and bass further downstream, but this is exciting to hear the Brown was once nearby.

david vaughn 04-15-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgetful (Post 173712)
Oh that's cool, anyone have a secret idea (PM) of the areas they live? E Verde is a big place.

Yes. Think above Beaver Valley.

joe 04-15-2020 09:48 AM

David,

Between 1933 and 1994 (1994 is when I did the study) there have been 27,000 European browns stocked at the crossings 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I am thinking they struggled to survive because of a very silty watershed.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020

The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction, the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

david vaughn 04-16-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe (Post 173715)
David,

Between 1933 and 1994 (1994 is when I did the study) there have been 27,000 European browns stocked at the crossings 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I am thinking they struggled to survive because of a very silty watershed.

Very cool, thanks for the info!

I understand the silt levels of the East Verde in those areas, especially with the numerous wild fires we have had in that time frame. The Dude Fire in 1990 did a major destruction on numerous watersheds, along with a bevy of smaller fires afterwards.

Now with the fresh water pouring into the upper section near Washington Park, a lot of that sediment is being cleared up in record time.

BunsbertMontcroffEsq 04-17-2020 08:30 AM

Gila-related question (esp. for Joe, who knows a lot about these things): are Gila Trout related to Cutthroat Trout at all? To my eye, they resemble the fine-spotted cuttie because of their smaller spots. Of course, the fine-spotted cuttie is from the Snake River, which is nowhere close to the native range of Gilas. Just wondered about that.

jchar85719 04-17-2020 10:18 AM

Wikipedia -

The Gila trout (Oncorhynchus gilae) is a species of salmonid, related to the rainbow, native to the Southwest United States.

Gila trout are closely related to Apache trout. However, Apache trout can have a spot behind and in front of the pupil (eye) and big noticeable spots on the body whereas Gila trout are characterized by numerous small dark spots on the upper half of the body.

The Gila trout has been threatened by competition and hybridization with introduced game fish such as the rainbow trout.

joe 04-17-2020 10:40 AM

BME,

Best question ever!!! My USA Heritage trout mentor's mentor is Dr. Robert Behnke (who I have talked to twice). Dr. B says that both the Gila and Apache trout are related to Rainbow trout. If you think about it, AT and GT do not exhibit the reddish throat slashes of the many different Cutthroat species. Thanks for asking.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020:
The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

joe 04-28-2020 01:11 PM

The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.