Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Springerville Drug Store (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15691)

Bucksnort 11-04-2017 09:24 PM

Springerville Drug Store

Many years ago, there was a great ma and pa sporting goods store in Alamosa, CO. They sold groceries and other items hunters and anglers may need.

On my last trip to the White Mountains, I was in Springerville. I saw a large single story building with Western Drug on it so I decided to investigate. They had everything fro A to Z. As the female clerk said after I said, "this store has everything", she replied, "yup, you can buy guns, drugs and alcohol all under one roof. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The store was better than the fishing.

Seldomseen 11-04-2017 11:50 PM

It is a compounding pharmacy as well. An AZ treasure. I get a fair amount of clothes from Allreds across the street too. Have jeans for my 6'7 son. Springerville gets a lot of ranching come-to-town business. In the grocery stores, they will be pushing more than one cart around.

almostlost 11-04-2017 11:55 PM

I've been there once years back. Good place, bought a jacket. It's one of those stores where the lines start to blur between what you really need at the moment, and what you might possibly need in case a tornado touches down in the mountains of AZ.

david vaughn 11-05-2017 07:26 AM

AND Western Drug sells the much needed WMAT permits for all forms of recreation. Bill and I picked ours up there last week. Another plus is their pricing on handguns, which is surprisingly much lower than big box stores.

Bucksnort 11-05-2017 10:55 AM

Almostlost,

You are wrong, there is no blurry line.

aztightlines 11-05-2017 05:53 PM

We found some amazing retro postcards on the revolving rack....could not resist the giant trout strapped to the back of a mule card.

Good place to buy WMAT permits on that side of the mountains.

Look for the Frontier Madonna statue at the east entrance...

Seldomseen 11-05-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Look for the Frontier Madonna statue at the east entrance...

Madonna of the Trail

aztightlines 11-05-2017 08:06 PM

"Madonna of the Trail"...didn't know that one, as Wenk Kriegler from the X-Diamond, a local, referred to the statue by the other name.

I spend most of my time on that side of the mountains when up there...prefer the lack of crowds and more relaxed lifestyle. Hope to get up to Big Lake before it freezes over, maybe a stream or two.

Flashback 11-09-2017 05:11 PM

From Sea to Shining Sea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seldomseen (Post 171098)

It is "The Daughters of the American Revolution".

The Daughters of the American Revolution had 12 of those statues made, and they are placed all across the US. The reason- to commemorate the brave spirit and contributions of the women who came west in pioneer days. The statues are found from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific. Here in Az the Statue is on US Hwy 60 as it passes through Springerville.

more info- https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/28991

aztightlines 11-10-2017 04:21 PM

Western Drug

We used to have a few Defender Drug stores in Tucson, sorry they are gone.

The one near my house, in Casas Adobes Plaza, had a lunch counter in addition to all the pharmaceuticals. Bullards was a small local hardware store manned by old guys who knew everything in the world about what your house would need.

The gals behind the lunch counter had a sixth sense when you were hungover and clanked the plates extra loud just for you.

They have been replaced, along with the barber shop and local grocery store, by upscale boot shops, fancy linen/bedspread outfits and a Whole Foods - I never go there.

Surfindaze 12-05-2017 04:34 PM

you folks brought back memories as the company i work for supplied Defender drug stores (owned by the Huffackers) and Western Drug originally opened by Merle Harper an ol' WW2 bomber pilot. Knew their family well. Fantastic store!