Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lower Salt River (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15811)

Bucksnort 04-04-2018 01:47 PM

Lower Salt River

I see so much information about the lower Salt, I don't know which way is up or down.

Will someone tell me where I can go to wade the river and when to go? I know I can wade at the parking area near the bridge on the Bush highway.

wolleybug 04-04-2018 08:29 PM

Plenty of spots to wade. But just watch out for the spots that are mud and will swallow you whole. It almost happend to me in January. Had to pull myself out and crawl on my knees till I found solid ground.
It's overfished by the bridge, need to walk
I'm going to try phon D tomorrow morning.

Bucksnort 04-04-2018 08:34 PM

May I assume there is public access from Phon D?

SAT 04-04-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucksnort (Post 171846)
May I assume there is public access from Phon D?

Yes that is correct.

Champ161 04-05-2018 06:43 AM

Fished it yesterday from 4:30 to 6PM. Waded in just after the bend before the bridge. Caught 5 Trout 2 of them being nice Rainbow hold overs and a 3lb sucker all standing in the same spot. The sucker almost took me into the backing twice. The water is only knee deep. The Trout seem to be stronger this year, I have caught more hold overs than the last few years. Using a 5wt rod with a 24ft sink tip swinging a bead head black simi seal leach. All fish came while letting the fly dangle in the current at the end of the swing.

BunsbertMontcroffEsq 04-05-2018 07:13 AM

The deeper pools under the bridge at Blue Point are usually reliable, but also heavily fished. If you hike about a half mile downstream another big pool opens up, and I've seen fish in there, but haven't had any luck. I assume it's carp or suckers.

When I fish Phon D, it's usually *above* the confluence. Lots of small (appx. 8-10 inches) but feisty, hard fighting bass in that area. I've also had luck getting into smallmouth bass at Coon Bluff and bluegill, black crappie, and bass at Water User's and above Water User's (just below the dam).

The Lower Salt just baffles me sometimes. There will be days when I catch 20 fish of various species in just a few hours, and then days when I'm completely skunked. I suspect it has to do with the season, and of course the flows.

Tying2Fly 04-05-2018 10:16 AM

It has been awhile since I had the chance to fish the Salt, but when I do, I prefer to go further up river that the bridge as like others have said, it gets fished a lot. I like to park up at the Recreation Area and sometimes can find small areas where the fish like the over-hanging brush on far side of river. It is sporadic at times but have done well on Trout at times and also where I caught my 1st LM bass (2-3 lbs.) on a fly a few years back.

Bucksnort 04-05-2018 08:42 PM

Champ161,

You mentioned a word I hate - suckers. My philosophy regarding suckers is there are only two kinds. Those that are dead and those about to die.

lostdutchman 04-05-2018 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=Bucksnort;171853]Champ161,

You mentioned a word I hate - suckers. My philosophy regarding suckers is there are only two kinds. Those that are dead and those about to die

Youíre missing out. A plastic bag fights better than the 10Ē stocked finless trout in the salt, and the suckers are wild, native. And strong, but, itís your rodeo. Depending on flows.. you can wade pretty much any stretch of the river above phon d. The rubber fish get stocked at phon d and the bridge ( blue point) and rarely move very far... much like most of the fisherman at the river haha.

Champ161 04-06-2018 06:52 AM

The Suckers are a ton of fun to catch, they fight hard! You catch 3 or 4 of those and your arm is feeling it. You can sight fish for them as well and they are there all year. For me the trout are hit or miss during the hot summer months. I do most of my trout fishing up north so catching a few trout at the salt when I'm fishing for the suckers is a bonus. I will say this years seem to be much better fishing than the last 2 years for both.