Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carnero Lake White Mtn s AZ (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15853)

Flyfisher20" 06-10-2018 04:28 PM

Carnero Lake White Mtn s AZ

1 Attachment(s)
Went to Carnero Lake on Saturday, 6-9-18. Water low. Windy day. Three of us caught and released approx. 25 Rainbows. Average size 14". Wind blow us off at about 1:20 pm. We caught most fish on a pattern that our friend John B tied. Maroon Micro Leech, bead head sizes 14 and 16. Fish 3' below an indicator in about 4' of water. Usually, movement of fly produced a strike.

M Lopez 06-10-2018 04:38 PM

How are the weeds?

Mike Lyons 06-11-2018 04:57 PM

Weed report...

Mike,
The lake is down 10-15% but the water quality is surprisingly good. Two feet of visibility, nice and cool and nearly no evidence of weeds! The fish are fat, healthy and in good numbers.

I will hit it again in the morning. No evidence of the damsel hatch yet but an indicator rig with a single ice cream cone Chronimid @ 3' will keep you as busy as you want to be. Go now, while the water is still there.

M Lopez 06-11-2018 10:08 PM

Thanks Mike. I too have been surprised by the water quality all spring and summer. Seems like it started at the end of last summer when the weeds just crashed. Still not sure what happened then, but the weeds haven't been bad since.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well also. Like you said, fish it now while its good.

AJacks 06-17-2018 07:24 PM

Hows is it launching a pontoon/boat there. Last year i went over there and you had to carry your pontoon a little ways to launch

JBatina 06-18-2018 07:04 AM

It's terrible at the launch on the west side. Saw guys enter over on the dam. I was up there with Mark, water quality was surprisingly good, as it was clear and at 59 degrees. Fish were healthy. It was really low and i really fear for what is coming for the lake and it's fish

M Lopez 06-19-2018 10:36 PM

Launching is tough at the designated west side area. But folks should not be driving to the east side during Stage II fire restrictions. Legally not supposed to drive off numbered roads on the Forest during these restrictions and that road (if you call it a road) is not an official road. Walking around it okay, but its a long walk with a pontoon. Best spot to launch on the west side is a short walk north of the parking area (if your craft is portable).

We got some good rain this last weekend, which was great for the forest, lakes, and streams (and the critters that live in them), but we're headed back to near record high temperatures later this week and not out of fire danger yet.

GoWhtSox 06-21-2018 07:16 PM

Went today and all big fish dead or dying. It was sad.

herefishy 06-22-2018 04:04 PM

did you take the water temp?

zebramidge 06-22-2018 04:53 PM

Fished Carnero a month ago and chased healthy, hungry rainbows. Returned this am and saw dozens of dead or dying fish. Water temp was 63 but lake is low and weeds are coming up fast. Very sad to see a fishery go down this quickly.http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...pso4sde3lt.jpg

AJacks 06-24-2018 04:55 AM

With these recent reports is it advisable to avoid Carnero this week? Its sad how quickly the Fishing went downhill... hopefully some of the big fish hold on until the rains come

Pinetopbob 06-24-2018 03:29 PM

At a loss for words on Carnero lake. Looks like a summer kill instead of the usual winter kill.

A loss of words.

lakelady 06-25-2018 10:03 AM

Summer kill can be common, especially in very dry years like this. I would not bother fishing Carnero because all the fish are stressed and fishing just adds to that. The pH is quite high and because it's so low, there's no depth refuge for fish to escape to.

Pinetopbob 07-11-2018 02:22 PM

Hope the rains are helping out Carnaro lake. Are they still drawing water out of the lake?????????