Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Felt ban (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15797)

littledog 03-20-2018 12:59 PM

Felt ban

For those who travel . .
Just saw that the NP Service has banned felt soles this year in Yellowstone.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/18010.htm

joe 03-21-2018 09:32 AM

Thanks, good to know

BigPoppa 03-22-2018 06:52 PM

Everyone should be buying stock in Korkers!!!! With them being the only wading boot company with interchangeable soles they have quite the corner on the market.

rickie 03-30-2018 05:57 AM

Well, it was bound to happen. The NPS has to err on the conservative side to protect what we have. I’ve not kept up with the goings on. This will cost me money since I only own felt.

DrLogik 04-21-2018 02:29 PM

What about all of the other gear that we walk into the water with that gets wet? Flet soles aren't the only thing that carries rock snot to another stream. Waders, socks, fly line, flies....a hat dropped into the water...

I'm not saying don't ban felt soles but that's a feel-good solution not a solution that will work effectively. That's why many areas opened up streams to felt again. The ban just wasn't effective. Not to mention the animals that walk around....like your dog.

aztightlines 04-21-2018 06:11 PM

So, the Logik is to do nothing because it doesn't totally control the problem?

Many of us favor Sensible Felt Control....

....but now I have to buy some new wading shoes, dagnabbit. I used to have a pair of Simms Aquastealth lightwt wading shoes and liked them.

WILDWILLY 04-21-2018 10:28 PM

Be greatfull that you have the opportunity to fish the park since the NPS doesn't want visitors to get more than 100 feet from a paved road or trail since we are harassing and disturbing THEIR fish and wildlife. Been fishing the park for over 50 years and can see the changes in their management attitude.

bgiordano 04-23-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDWILLY (Post 171921)
Be greatfull that you have the opportunity to fish the park since the NPS doesn't want visitors to get more than 100 feet from a paved road or trail since we are harassing and disturbing THEIR fish and wildlife. Been fishing the park for over 50 years and can see the changes in their management attitude.

I disagree with this.

I am sure you have seen changes in 50 years, but they certainly aren't trying to keep you from fishing. There have been too many accidents in the Park by people making poor decisions regarding approaching wildlife. As Park attendance continues to increase from year to year, the chances of a poor decision increases with those additional people. The point of the wildlife distance rules is to protect visitors AND the wildlife. 50 years ago, there were 2 million visitors in the Park. Last year, there were over 4 million. That's a huge increase.

I do think that some of the rangers get a bit overzealous. But people make some VERY questionable decision in Yellowstone.

WILDWILLY 04-24-2018 06:58 AM

Not sure how you equate "wildlife distance rules" with my comment about staying close to roads or trails. There are people in the NPS who are opposed to fishing and their have been discussions regarding limiting foreign visitors due to the huge increase.

bgiordano 04-24-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDWILLY (Post 171927)
Not sure how you equate "wildlife distance rules" with my comment about staying close to roads or trails. There are people in the NPS who are opposed to fishing and their have been discussions regarding limiting foreign visitors due to the huge increase.

The rules about staying close to roads or trails in the Park fall mostly in three categories. These are: if there are wildlife present, if going off-trail would cause increased erosion to a natural feature, or if it unsafe for people to enter (I.e. thermal features). I had assumed that you were referring to the wildlife rules as you stated "since the NPS doesn't want visitors to get more than 100 feet from a paved road or trail since we are harassing and disturbing THEIR fish and wildlife."

I worked for NPS fisheries in Yellowstone for a couple years. There is no opposition to fishing. I am not sure where you got that information, but there isn't one fish biologist in Yellowstone that is opposed to angling. They are actually all anglers themselves. Whether there is talk way above them regarding that, I don't know.