Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Canyon Creek (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15600)

jpg 07-28-2017 04:58 PM

Canyon Creek

Only been here once. Best place to fish?

Thanks

Westy 07-28-2017 10:31 PM

Next to the road where it's stocked.

kad1979 07-28-2017 11:55 PM

Nowhere. That joint kicks my *** every time. No joke.

MeLikeFlyFish-FlyFishGood 07-29-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westy (Post 170526)
Next to the road where it's stocked.

Yup. Don't skip any of the little pockets (5-gallon bucket size) up stream. It can be tough this time of year unless flows are up and color off from a storm.... without this the lower stretches are low, slow and clear with lots of brush on the edges.

Mr Blur 07-30-2017 07:14 AM

kinda goes without saying, but fish early in the morning and through the evening. spend the rest of the time hiking say upstream, napping, lunching, day drinking. there are fish in that stream nearly everywhere you expect them to be, more than you expect...

almostlost 07-30-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Blur (Post 170539)
kinda goes without saying, but fish early in the morning and through the evening. spend the rest of the time hiking say upstream, napping, lunching, day drinking. there are fish in that stream nearly everywhere you expect them to be, more than you expect...

Text book. Unless it's off color from rain and overcast-then fish all day!

PaysonLazerLiner 07-31-2017 10:30 PM

Follow the signs toward the OW Ranch. Just before you get to the water you would pass thru the forest service open gate but don’t go thru it down to the water. Instead, turn immediately into the parking area just before the gate and park. Look for the trail heading downstream and follow it as far as you can or want to. A couple of miles if you’re up for it. Don’t even string your rod until you’re ready to start fishing back upstream. I haven’t fished Canyon since the monsoons started so I can’t speak to water clarity but ideally the water will be colored but not chocolate. I suggest either a sz 12-14 bh black bugger or a hopper, with either a sz 18 (maybe sz 16 if water is too colored) bh prince nymph or maybe a tan hares ear dropper. Be a ninja. Keep a low profile. I recommend actually getting in the water and quietly working your way up. The water will be cool but not cold so you can wet wade if you’re so inclined. There is no stocking from the OW downstream so you won’t catch the triploid stocked rainbows unless something flushed down from above the OW, where stocking is done from the hatchery down to the OW bridge. Obviously, if you’re going all the way to canyon I would sure fish all day, especially if you make my suggested trek downstream. There are some big dads there. Most bigger fish are browns but you could catch a nice bow as well. I’m sure you’re aware but everything from the OW Ranch downstream to the Res several miles down is catch and release. Hope that helps a little.
Tight lines.

Old Bull 08-01-2017 12:04 PM

I've seen 3 rattlesnakes in the last 6 trips this year. Anyone else notice they seem to be more common than before? I'm staying away from climbing over all the dead lumber. Don't wan to get tagged down there...

Mr Blur 08-01-2017 12:28 PM

oh **** no. place was overrun with skunks last time I was up there. also saw a large male black bear an easy roll cast downstream. he quietly snuck into the trees. not those skunks though. they were bold

Litespeed1 08-03-2017 09:11 AM

For the first time ever, and I have fished Canyon for many years, I experienced multiple rattlesnakes. Arizona Blacks mostly.

And to Blurs point the largest black bear I have ever seen in AZ was snooping around the hatchery feed barn few years ago. Big ole dude.