Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Don't eat the fish (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15549)

Bucksnort 06-11-2017 01:30 PM

Don't eat the fish

Also, while visiting Kinnicknick Lake et al, I saw signs warning not to eat certain fish.

I don't keep fish. What's up with this? Do these fish have high levels of bad stuff?

WH Daily 06-11-2017 09:00 PM

Don't eat the fish

Many lakes in Arizona have a substantual anount of Mercury which I understand is transferred to the fish. Thus the "do not consume" warning. G&F Has a listing of all the lakes and the problem chemical.

Bucksnort 06-12-2017 07:56 AM

Thanks. I assume it is something that. I don't keep fish so it's not a problem for me.

Old Bull 06-12-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucksnort (Post 170128)
Also, while visiting Kinnicknick Lake et al, I saw signs warning not to eat certain fish.

I don't keep fish. What's up with this? Do these fish have high levels of bad stuff?

Jim, most of the lakes up by Flagstaff have higher levels of naturally occurring mercury. They are in an area that has a lot of volcanic rock. That rock also causes the lakes to be off color like you asked about in another post. Also, the Rio de Flag drainage is there and that is where a lot of industrial, paper and logging waste went in the past. Not the case anymore but that stuff takes a long time to go away. They still fish well but go really early because it is always windy by around 9:00 AM.

wolleybug 06-12-2017 09:48 PM

Can't be any worse than what these fast food places are feeding us

WH Daily 06-12-2017 09:55 PM

Got that right Wooleybug. And we wonder where all the cancer comes from. Lets do some cancer research on fast food.

Bucksnort 06-13-2017 12:41 PM

Old Bull,

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the information. I have a couple more questions about the lakes I visited, if you don't mind.

First, I didn't see streams into or out of any of them. I will admit I neither drove around nor walked completely around them so I may not have been in the right place to see them. If there are no streams, do these lakes get their water from ground seepage or snow melt or both?

Second, will conditions be similar in the lakes to the west of Flagstaff and the ones around Prescott? I know cloudy water in the Rim and in the White Mountain lakes is not a problem.

I'm not a snobby angler but I do prefer clear water. It's part of the fishing experience. I remember seeing crystal clear water as a very young boy when my father fished streams in southern Germany around 1946 so when I began fly fishing (1978) the clear water I fished reminded me of Germany.

Jim

SAT 06-13-2017 05:39 PM

The lakes around the Prescott area have much better clarity than the Flag area lakes. Pretty much no consistent streams going into any of them, Flag area lakes included.

Litespeed1 06-14-2017 09:19 AM

I like clear water too but super clear running streams and lakes = less nutrients than a bit of off color. That's why fishing a cutthroat stream will make anyone feel like a superstar dry fly fisherman. There's no food in those systems and any fluffy floating thing will catch.
As a 53 year old I likely have so much mercury in me you can check the outside temperature by my face color.

I wish Barbecue Potato Chips were healthy to eat. I would live forever if they were.

Litespeed1 06-14-2017 09:22 AM

Ashurst is a great Sailboarding lake after 9am.
While in college I fished a different lake on that plateau......... :)