Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Went on a little Safari yesterday... (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15666)

david vaughn 09-28-2017 08:44 AM

Went on a little Safari yesterday...

...to Woods Canyon Lake.

I am still in Tiger hunt mode, so thought it might be a good time to hit Woods Canyon once again, as I may not have a chance for another month.

Got on the water around 1:30, weather conditions included temps in the upper 50's with a slight breeze from the southwest, with an occasional gust in the low teens. From the boat ramp, I floated east along the southern shore as it was fairly vacant of bank fishers. Only a couple of other water craft on the lake, so no issues of rude boaters to contend with.

Trout were highly active with the top feeding, with many fish going airborne.

Started off with an Elk Hair Caddis #16 and immediately started getting bumps, but nothing to hand.

Switched over to an orange Mini-Hopper #14 (thanks Arizona Wanderings!) and the strikes increased dramatically. Thus began the day with innumerable savagery upon that Mini-Hopper.

Getting tired of that action, I tied on a #14 Olive Simi-Seal Leech with a tan beadhead. Fished it roughly 5' below the surface and again, the savagery continued with unrelenting abandoning.

While I hooked many rainbows and one tiger, only a dozen or so made it to my float tube. All the others successfully tossed the hook before getting too close to me. Due to the sheer number of hookups, it would have been energy wasted on those I lost in becoming frustrated.

I was amazed at the size of the trout jumping out of the water as well. They weren't the normal stockers, but some nice fish in the 16"+ range. There were some meaty slabs falling back onto the water surface creating some unbelievable rings.

All the fish to hand were in the 12"+ range and all were pulling hard. I do believe their shoulders are developing for next spring.

Note to self: It is becoming a bit late in the season to be wearing a t-shirt, shorts and short socks under breathable waders. By the time the sun was setting, I was beginning to shiver quite a bit. But then again, being in the midwest these past 4 years hasn't helped in keeping my acclimation of the Rim waters.

Looking forward to when I can return to the Rim waters for some more playtime!

Fly Chef 09-28-2017 10:27 AM

Awesome!

SAT 09-28-2017 11:24 AM

Sounds like a blast!

david vaughn 09-29-2017 08:48 AM

It was!

Air and water temps are falling, and the rubber trout are once again interested in eating.

Now to head over to Knoll and chase some of dem dar browns!