Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Firearms on Indian Reservations (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15980)

Bucksnort 02-19-2019 08:57 AM

Firearms on Indian Reservations

I found this on the internet. I was interested in the White Mountain Rez. This indicates I can access the rez lakes without worry including carrying a concealed weapon.

In spite of this, has anyone had problems with officials on the rez?

• Navajo Nation: According to HandgunLaw.us, the Navajo Nation makes it illegal to carry a deadly weapon including a gun.

•Tohono O’odham Nation: The Tohono O’odham Nation prohibits the carry of a concealed weapon on a person or in a vehicle. It is illegal within the reservation to fire a gun within a quarter mile of an occupied home.

•Hopi Tribe: The Hopi Indian Tribe requires a permit signed by the judge of the Hopi Trial Court and the superintendent of the reservation in order to carry a concealed handgun.

•White Mountain Apache Tribe: In the White Mountain Apache Tribe Reservation, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon unless authorized by the tribal government, state government, or the United States government. A permit is necessary to carry a concealed weapon.

Old Bull 02-20-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucksnort (Post 172940)
I found this on the internet. I was interested in the White Mountain Rez. This indicates I can access the rez lakes without worry including carrying a concealed weapon.

In spite of this, has anyone had problems with officials on the rez?

• Navajo Nation: According to HandgunLaw.us, the Navajo Nation makes it illegal to carry a deadly weapon including a gun.

•Tohono O’odham Nation: The Tohono O’odham Nation prohibits the carry of a concealed weapon on a person or in a vehicle. It is illegal within the reservation to fire a gun within a quarter mile of an occupied home.

•Hopi Tribe: The Hopi Indian Tribe requires a permit signed by the judge of the Hopi Trial Court and the superintendent of the reservation in order to carry a concealed handgun.

•White Mountain Apache Tribe: In the White Mountain Apache Tribe Reservation, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon unless authorized by the tribal government, state government, or the United States government. A permit is necessary to carry a concealed weapon.

Those regulations are for tribal members. They will confiscate and fine you if caught. I just carry bear spray.

M Lopez 02-27-2019 04:02 PM

Old Bull is correct.

Get a copy of the 2018-2019 fishing regs booklet. Top of page 5 says "Possession of firearms is prohibited".

You won't need to carry anyway if you are just fishing lakes. They are all plenty safe.

M Lopez 02-27-2019 04:04 PM

Clarification - 2018-2019 Outdoor Recreation Regulations for Fort Apache Indian Reservation

Wind_Knot 02-28-2019 11:25 AM

.....if it was a true ‘fearing for your life’ emergency one could use their bear spray, that should always be carried in bear and cat country anyway for the protection of man and beast.

Hooty 02-28-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind_Knot (Post 172987)
.....if it was a true ‘fearing for your life’ emergency one could use their bear spray, that should always be carried in bear and cat country anyway for the protection of man and beast.

Curious how many of this crowd has ever discharged their bear spray...and how it went?

BunsbertMontcroffEsq 03-01-2019 07:13 AM

i am always more concerned with the enormous moo cows on the reservation lakes than i am anything else.

in all my years of hiking, mountain biking, and fishing i have never encountered an apex predator. have seen mountain lion and bear scat and tracks, but have never run into them in the flesh.

bgiordano 03-01-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooty (Post 172988)
Curious how many of this crowd has ever discharged their bear spray...and how it went?

Haven't discharged mine before. Came close a couple times in Yellowstone on grizzlies.

But I did get sprayed by some hikers in the West Baldy Trailhead parking lot. Three people that didn't seem to know what they were doing. The were looking at the bear spray and as I walked by them, heard the sound of the discharge and some giggles. I was about 10 feet downwind of them, so it wasn't a direct hit. But it wasn't fun at all.

I've also carried out some gear of ill-prepared backpackers in Yellowstone while on a fish survey. Long story short, they had no idea what they were doing and sprayed themselves TWICE. Just carrying their gear out was brutal.

Honestly, I can't imagine carrying bear spray here in AZ. Grizzlies are a different story.

rbinaz 03-03-2019 04:54 PM

Old timers here might remember my story from about 10 years ago when a Black Bear swam across Crescent Lake when I was float tubing. I got out for lunch and he came right out of the water next to my tube and walked right past my truck into the woods.
It was surreal.

Old Bull 03-05-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbinaz (Post 172993)
Old timers here might remember my story from about 10 years ago when a Black Bear swam across Crescent Lake when I was float tubing. I got out for lunch and he came right out of the water next to my tube and walked right past my truck into the woods.
It was surreal.

You posted a pic, didn’t you? I remember someone posting a pic of a bear swimming across Crescent.