Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PFD's (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15526)

Dub 05-31-2017 05:28 PM

PFD's

Just an FYI......AZG&F is enforcing the PFD laws on any kick boater using oars. If no oars are on the boat no PFD is needed. The law has been on the books for a while but never enforced. Now with all the kayakers and paddle boarders on the water they feel it needs to be enforced.

jr

M Lopez 05-31-2017 10:32 PM

Yep, there is an increased effort this year to improve compliance with the PFD laws, due to greatly increased numbers of kayakers and paddle boarders, many without PFDs, plus a number of drownings of folks without PFDs.

There needs to be one PFD for each person aboard any watercraft on Arizona waters. A watercraft is legally defined as any craft powered by oars, paddle, sail, or motor (electric or gas). Thus, pontoons need to have a PFD on board if you have oars, even though you might have been fishing without one for many years. They are starting to enforce it now. An old fashioned float tube does not legally need a PFD since it is not powered by any of the above and is not legally considered a watercraft (by AGFD; the Rez is a different story).

nayls 06-01-2017 07:03 PM

Thanks for info.

MudBug 06-16-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Lopez (Post 170003)
Yep, there is an increased effort this year to improve compliance with the PFD laws, due to greatly increased numbers of kayakers and paddle boarders, many without PFDs, plus a number of drownings of folks without PFDs.

There needs to be one PFD for each person aboard any watercraft on Arizona waters. A watercraft is legally defined as any craft powered by oars, paddle, sail, or motor (electric or gas). Thus, pontoons need to have a PFD on board if you have oars, even though you might have been fishing without one for many years. They are starting to enforce it now. An old fashioned float tube does not legally need a PFD since it is not powered by any of the above and is not legally considered a watercraft (by AGFD; the Rez is a different story).

On board? so stuffed behind the seat is fine?

My NFO Predator has three chambers, I'm more concerned with losing a rod than I am of not having something that floats to hold on to.

Bucksnort 06-16-2017 10:33 AM

All,

My pontoon has oar locks (or whatever you call them) but I don't use the oars. Because it's equipped for oars and I'm not using them, am I exempt from a PFD? My pontoon has four hollow non-inflatable chambers consisting of two pontoons, a seat bottom and a seat back; all will float. The boat is made of a very durable hard plastic and would be very difficult to puncture so in an emergency, there is no shortage of something to hold.

Old Bull 06-16-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucksnort (Post 170190)
All,

My pontoon has oar locks (or whatever you call them) but I don't use the oars. Because it's equipped for oars and I'm not using them, am I exempt from a PFD? My pontoon has four hollow non-inflatable chambers consisting of two pontoons, a seat bottom and a seat back; all will float. The boat is made of a very durable hard plastic and would be very difficult to puncture so in an emergency, there is no shortage of something to hold.

PFD required. You don't have to wear it.

Bucksnort 06-16-2017 06:39 PM

Old Bull,

Roger that.

GoWhtSox 06-17-2017 03:18 PM

Does a pfd include the flat seat cushion type?

Sasquatch 06-18-2017 10:07 AM

Type I, II, III. Cushion is type IV. Wearable but not needed to be worn and must fit the intended user.

Personally, I think it is pretty ignorant to think you can hang on to the watercraft. When hypothermia sets in they will be dragging the bottom for your body. And nothing required for single bladder or tire tube type based on propulsion needs to be changed.

1MoreCast 06-18-2017 09:14 PM

Thx for the heads-up, John ('tho a tad late). My friend got an $80 ticket up in White Mtns a week ago for no PFD on board his pontoon boat. Again, throwable square boat cushions are Type 4 and do NOT qualify --- yours must be either wearable Type 1, 2, 3, or 5. If your craft has oars on it, you need one!