Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I need a little help (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15864)

basshunter 07-07-2018 09:56 AM

I need a little help

I could use some help on fly selection for a friend of mine. He is heading up to the Greer area to fish River Reservoir, and the Little Colorado river next week. Any help in fly selection would be greatly appreciated!!

Seldomseen 07-07-2018 10:34 AM

One thing to watch over the next week or two is the carpenter ants. They usually appear in big numbers one week or two after the first summer soaker and can incite quite a feed. Ants will be a go to topwater pattern the rest of the summer, but there will be some time and places in the Whites the next couple weeks when you will not want to be without them.

basshunter 07-07-2018 07:21 PM

Thank you, I will let him know.

azmtbguy 07-07-2018 11:47 PM

Appreciate this thread, heading to greer for a few nights next week.

basshunter 07-08-2018 08:26 PM

I talked David and he said try #16 Az. mini hoppers and #14 bead head simi seal leeches.

david vaughn 07-09-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basshunter (Post 172253)
I talked David and he said try #16 Az. mini hoppers and #14 bead head simi seal leeches.

Brad, when's your buddy leaving for the Whites? If time is available, I can tie up a selection of mini-hoppers and SSL for both of you. They take no time whatsoever to tie up and it'll give me an "excuse" to get on my two-wheeled scenic viewfinder steel stallion for supplies at Sportsman Warehouse in Show Low, if need be.

bgiordano 07-09-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seldomseen (Post 172248)
One thing to watch over the next week or two is the carpenter ants. They usually appear in big numbers one week or two after the first summer soaker and can incite quite a feed. Ants will be a go to topwater pattern the rest of the summer, but there will be some time and places in the Whites the next couple weeks when you will not want to be without them.

Good call. We already started to see them last week when out on surveys. Not in big numbers yet, but here and there. There have also been decent size 14 mayfly hatches on the upper West Fork LCR (not sure how far OP is planning on going up in the LCR drainage).

A couple things to be mindful of. There is a Forest closure on the creek ABOVE Greer, so just check the Forest closure maps before heading up. Also, the LCR BELOW River Reservoir has been extremely warm with temps getting in the high 70's and even into the low 80's. So the resident trout in the creek will be extremely stressed.