Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

Arizona Fly Fishing Forums (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Azflyandtie destination trip to alaska in 2019! (http://www.azflyandtie.com/flyforum/showthread.php?t=15658)

fishunter 09-22-2017 12:14 PM

Azflyandtie destination trip to alaska in 2019!

Who’s ready to go to Alaska! Azflyandtie and Risen Fly have teamed up to organize a destination trip for those of you on the forum. What better way to get to know each other better than over an amazing fishing experience? Ryan from Risen Fly will be here to help get the trip organized and answer any questions for those who are going. So here are the details…

August 2019 to the Naknek River in King Salmon, Alaska. The Naknek lays claim to the BEST rainbow trout fishing in all of Alaska. It’s a real possibility to catch rainbows in the 25-30” class and maybe a few. Not only that, but the Naknek has large runs of all 5 species of salmon, plus grayling, arctic char and big pike! The lodge is right on the river with spacious cabins and a big dining hall to chow down after a tiring day of catching fish all day. There are also opportunities to fish smaller “walk and wade” streams within a small boat ride including the famous Brooks River Falls where you can go to the bear viewing platform to watch many grizzlies feasting on salmon at the falls and even attend “Bear School”. On top of this you can also pay a small fee to do fly outs on a small bush plane to other locations around the area. These include great rainbow, char and grayling fishing, smaller tribs for salmon and even world class char that can get 30”+! All of this for an all-inclusive rate of $2995!

The other costs associate with this trip that you will be responsible for will include round trip air fare ($700-1200), fishing license ($40), tips for the guides, and any extras from there. Ryan has some ideas on how to reduce the airfare costs too.

We wanted to plan this trip in enough advance notice that you all can save a little bit at a time to go and have enough time to plan for it. Ryan also has a deal going that if you book any of the trips through Risen Fly you receive a FREE ITB rod or Ichthus reel (around a $150) value to use on your trip. He will also give a discount to those attending on their site so you won’t have to spend a ton to get the gear you need.

If you have interest in going please respond here and you can also email Ryan directly at ryan@risenfly.com. He will be here to answer any questions and help get everyone who attends prepared for the trip. Ryan spent a week there in 2016 so he knows what to expect and to make sure this is a trip you will remember for the rest of your lives.

Newby 09-23-2017 05:57 PM

I would definitely like to go, pending more details and dates. Two years away so I should be able to afford it by then lol. Sounds look a pretty amazing opportunity.

risenfly 09-24-2017 01:30 PM

That's why we did it that far in advance so people can save for it. I'll get the specific dates in the next couple weeks. They just finished the season up there so I'm waiting for the owners to come back to the lower 48 and settle in before working on this a bit more. It's a great trip to say the least, especially for the price. It looks like you will have to have a deposit of $1000 around the end of the year to lock in your spot but that may be negotiable. It's also refundable up to a few months before the trip because of it being so far in advance. (don't tell your wives that part)

August will provide these fishing opportunities.

Sockeye and Chum salmon are spawning. The real target when this happens is the massive rainbows, char and grayling that are feeding on the eggs. Whether its drifting beads on the big Naknek, or a smaller trib these fish are super aggressive on eggs and you can catch tons and tons of fish every day doing this.

Silver (Coho) Salmon are entering the streams. These are the 2nd largest salmon species, the best fighting and will take a variety of flies from swung streamers, dead drifted flesh flies and even top water mice, wogs, poppers, etc. They get air quite often and will test your fish fighting abilities

Pike are in the sloughs of the big river. These are basically big cuts in the river that have slack water and these big pike hang out. Big, I mean mid 40's easily.

You'll see a few big red Kings in the river but the king season is over by then. Great picture opportunity of colored up kings, and sockeye. If you want to bring fish home it will be the coho's. They'll pack and freeze them for you at the camp, and give you a special box to ship them home.

risenfly 09-28-2017 08:06 AM

If anyone else has any interest in this trip just reach out. It's almost 2 years out and can be a little easier to save up for. Alaska is everything and more than you have dreamed about and would love to see a good sized group from here go see it first hand.

risenfly 10-04-2017 08:14 AM

Anyone else have at least a little bit of interest in going?

FlyMeARiver 10-04-2017 10:46 AM

I can't say for certain that I can go yet being that it's so far off but I'm definitely interested. Ryan I sent you an email.

WILDWILLY 10-10-2017 07:16 AM

I would like to go...keep me in the loop.

Baiter 10-10-2017 10:45 AM

Possibly

risenfly 10-14-2017 12:13 PM

Great. I'll work on a few other things and get dates for deposits to go. I'm sure we can work around a few things as well if people are really interested in attending.

nelly 10-16-2017 07:59 AM

I worked at that lodge this summer! its pretty sweet.